Author Topic: Cross-stitch Bookmark  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
Cross-stitch Bookmark
« on: Thursday 18 August 11 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was given this bookmark by my Grandmother back in the 1980s and as far as I remember it was something she herself had made.  I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on when such things were made and the significance of the crown - I'm guessing maybe it was for a Bible - also what are the symbols / numbers on it? 

My Grandmother was born in London in 1906 - it is possible that she herself didn't make it ... she was, until her marriage a seamstress and very good with a needle, so if it was her work she must have been very young.

Thank you very much.  ;D
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cross-stitch Bookmark
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 August 11 22:12 BST (UK) »
They aren't symbols they are the word 'No'.

It actually says 'No Cross No Crown'.

This is the title of some writings by William Penn, founder of the colony of Pennsylvania:

NO CROSS, NO CROWN - A Discourse showing the Nature and Discipline of the Holy Cross of Christ, and that, the Denial of Self, and Daily Bearing of Christ's Cross, is the alone Way to the Rest and Kingdom of God.

http://www.gospeltruth.net/Penn/nocrossnocrownIndex.htm
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
Re: Cross-stitch Bookmark
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 August 11 22:22 BST (UK) »
Good Grief!  :o  That is a surprise!  :o Thank you very much, that's really *very* interesting.

I now suspect it actually had nothing to do with my Grandmother then ... but hopefully someone may be able to date it.  It was given to me in an envelope with a postcard that definitely had links to my Grandfather's early life, and a bookmark with this message strikes me as much more likely to be the work of his maternal Grandmother (1848-1934) or his mother who was born in 1869.

Thanks again  ;D
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk