Author Topic: Nicholas Perry  (Read 5260 times)

Offline MHA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nicholas Perry
« on: Friday 19 August 11 02:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am a resident of Canada.  Nicholas Perry (possible spelling of Nicolas Perree) emigrated to Canada from the Island of Jersey mid 1700's.  My calculation is he was born/baptised in the early 1700's.....likely between 1700 and 1730.

I would greatly appreciate any look-up assistance (baptism, marriage) reference Nicholas Perry or Nicolas Perree.  Thank-you.

Offline Cecil Perry

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Nicholas Perry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 09:26 GMT (UK) »

Nicholas Perry - or "Jersey Nick" as he was better know - had two daughters, Adelaide and Matilda, and four sons, Noah, Philip, William and John. They fished with their father during the summer and at the conclusion of the voyage, being an industrious and aggressive family, they would till the soil with a view to raising vegetables for their consumption during the ensuing year. The piles of rock which serve as part enclosure of the estate and which were built into walls are mute testimony as monuments to the memory of these energetic pioneers.

John Fitzgerald;--- purchased Noah Perrys plantation and fishing room; May 25 1848.
James Bouzan; --- purchased the property of Matthew ‘Matty’ Dalton; 1848/50

The remaining properties belonging to William and John Perry, were purchased by Robert Penney and William O’Rielly, at approximately the same time.

It is interesting to note that in Lowells Directory; 1871, the Perrys listed as heads of households for Western Bay, included only William (my g-grandfather), George (my g-granduncle) and Robert; the latter appears to have been, perhaps, a more distant relative. On the other hand, the Perrys listed for the Indian Islands, in that same directory, include those who appeared to be in an adverse situation with their merchants; e.g; Philip, John, Nicholas, and William. It would appear that, at some point following the foreclosures and bankruptcies, that Philip plus one or two of his brothers and/or one or two of his sons relocated from Western Bay to the Indian Islands.
It is of further interest to note that John Perry returned from the Indian Islands Oct 27 1871, ‘to sell his house and property around the house, that is his one share’ to James McDonald. (Archives)

Thomas and Patience Pennell; -- Pa 4, para 2
While Pennells were present at Western Bay during 1829, it is not known how much earlier Thomas and Patience had first arrived.
Thomas and Patience Pennell indentued their lands to George Perry (1826-1913) and his wife Elizabeth Perry (1828-1906) by document bearing date, Oct 24 1860.

John Perry--- Pa 7 (Mid-way thru 1st para)
Philips Perrys son, John, married Robert Penneys widow, Elizabeth, on Oct 14 1836. (Archives). Robert Penney was the g-grandfather of the author of this document; Hedley Penney.)

Pearce Handrigan (Hanrahan; ‘Handrigan’ is a NF variation)--- Pa 8, para 2
Comment: When Thomas and Patience Pennell indentured their estate to George and Elizabeth Perry; during Oct 24 1860, William Perry and Pearce Hanrahan signed as witnesses.

Emmanual’Manual’ Fudge--- Pa 12, para 2; Present at Western Bay prior to 1817 (Seary)
John Jenkins--- para 5; Present at Western Bay prior to 1827 (Seary)

Benjamin Elsworth--- Pa 13, para 2; Present at Western Bay prior to 1835 (Seary)
Samual Wilcox--- para 3; Present at Western Bay prior to 1827 (Seary)
Richard McCarthy--- para 4; Present at Western Bay prior to 1806 (Seary)

James Riggs--- Pa 14, para 2; A William Riggs is shown as present at Western Bay prior to 1871 (Seary)

William Greene--- Pa 15, para 1; Present at Western Bay prior to 1831 (Seary)
William Short para 2; Present at Western Bay prior to 1853 (Seary)
William Curtis para 5; A James Curtis is shown, present at Western Bay prior to 1789

Edward and James Fitzgerald--- Pa 16, para 2; A Maurice Fitzgerald is shown present at Western Bay
prior to 1771 (Seary)

Michael Foote para 3; Present at Western Bay prior to 1846 (Seary)

Note; Michael Foote married Noah Perrys daughter

Amelia; Nov 18 1845.

William and George Perry--- Pa 18; William (1814- 1880 est.) was my g-grandfather and
George 1826-1913), his brother, my g-granduncle.

Submitted in support of Mr. Hedley Penneys account of the settling of Western Bay, Newfoundland.

J.E. Perry. Wpg., MB
June 22 2000

ANY NEW INFO, please contact me! there is more to this post had to reduce to post