Author Topic: Lucy Phillips KEMP - COMPLETED  (Read 8088 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: LUCY PHILLIPS KEMP
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 August 11 05:00 BST (UK) »
Yoki,

Have you a copy of the following WA marriage ....
Charles Thompson PHILLIPS and Lucy KEMP.....  that couple married at Fremantle in 1901.   That certificate should help you confirm if that may be your elusive Lucy Phillips....

EDIT TO ADD, especially as your Lucy was not 21 until December 1902, and thus would have needed permission to marry (the name of the parent or guardian should be noted on the record) as anyone under 21 years of age was legally still a minor.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline yoki

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 August 11 05:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you to all who have looked and replied. It made me go and have another look at the Army records and I can see where there are two servicemen recorded on the one telegram. Goes to show you should look twice before writing.
I  had been looking at her brother Francis's records before I looked at hers and I guess that the Army record of Lucy being in Auckland sent me off on the wrong track straight away.
I will try in future to get it right first time after looking twice, although it is great to hear from everybody and thanks for your help.
George was the publican in Ferntree Gully, that was where his wife died ,'being of unsound mind'. He died in Hamilton hospital in 1914 while working as a station manager.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 August 11 05:15 BST (UK) »
Charles Thompson PHILLIPS and Lucy Marsden PHILLIPS are on the WA electoral roll until 1906, and just by coincidence people with the same names later show up in NZ on the  Auckland electoral roll.  I only have access to the indexes so can't tell you if these two were living at the same address in NZ.

Debra

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 August 11 05:27 BST (UK) »
Further to Deb's post.

Electoral Roll 1919, Marsden NZ.

Lucy Marsden Phillips, King street, Hikurangi, married.
Charles Thompson Phillips, Hikurangi, diamond drill engineer.
William Lamb Phillips, Hikurangi, miner.

Regards
Gerry

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 August 11 05:42 BST (UK) »
NZ BDM online index has a death registration for Lucy Marsden PHILLIPS, in 1957 at age 77. 

A Printout of that registration would help determine if that was your Lucy Kemp (a number of my female forebears seem to have fibbed as to their age) .

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline yoki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 August 11 05:54 BST (UK) »
I don't think that Lucy Marsden Phillips is Lucy Phillips Kemp however what is strange is that Lucy's niece was given the name Marsden as her christian name and it was always wondered where it came from.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 19 August 11 06:00 BST (UK) »
I don't think that Lucy Marsden Phillips is Lucy Phillips Kemp however what is strange is that Lucy's niece was given the name Marsden as her christian name and it was always wondered where it came from.

Yoki,

Could you please explain why you think Lucy's middle given name is "Phillips" please....

Cheers,  JM

Offline yoki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 19 August 11 06:57 BST (UK) »
I know that her birth record just says Lucy but I am working from her mother's death certificate here where her name is down as Lucy Phillips 21 yrs.
My next thought of course is ' is her father putting in her married name?' If that were the case then it is very possible that Lucy Marsden is the right one. Still wonder where the Marsden would have come from at her birth if that was when it was given to her.
One of her sisters, Millicent, married in Kalgoorlie and went to Auckland with her husband and child after 1906.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 19 August 11 07:14 BST (UK) »
Well, Yoki, whoever was the informant on Lucy's mum's death cert would have been giving information  death registration at a time of grief because simply it was a tragedy, so if Lucy's Dad then he could well have been very very upset, so perhaps the person who was writing that information down for the process to register that death simply did not understand that a 21 year old lass may have been married, and so it is reasonable and possible to consider that Lucy Phillips was Mrs Lucy PHILLIPS, which could well point to Mrs Lucy Marsden PHILLIPS....   

"Phillips" with the "s" on the end, I think would point to a SURNAME, rather than a female's middle given name...  So, re the death certificate, .... Does it clearly show "s" or could it be "a" as in Phillipa....

You should be able to confirm if Mrs Lucy Marsden PHILLIPS is your elusive Lucy, by spending a penny or so on either the 1901 marriage cert or the 1957 death record...  I think you may need either or both to validate your research.

Cheers,  JM