Author Topic: LaPalme, LaPan b. QUEBEC ca 1840 to Bayfield, Ontario Canada  (Read 7380 times)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: LaPalme, LaPan from Bayfield, Ontario Canada
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 06:32 BST (UK) »
Found the following birth and death registrations on Ancestry

County of Bruce Southampton
Birth
William Meldrum McDonald
15 Nov. 1879
Father John Alexander McDonald
Mother Julia Lepam
Occupation of Father Tailor

Death
William Meldman McDonald Died 5 Nov 1874
Age O + 3 days
Cause of death Congestion of brain

Another Birth
William Wellington MacDonald
2 Feb. 1874
Father John A MacDonald
Mother Isabella La Palme
Rank or profession of Father tailor

I believe the birth and death for William Meldrun/Meldman is the child of John and Julia. As Julia died just a few weeks after giving birth maybe complications or perhaps grief. Some of these old records are difficult to read.

Lilybell, William Meldrum McDonald and William Meldman McDonald can't be for the same child. The birth for the former is in 1879 and the death for the latter is 1874. Going by the dates, I believe William Meldman McDonald and William Wellington McDonald are actually the same child. The death registration for Meldman indicates he was 9 months (not 0) and 3 days old which matches up with the birth date for Wellington.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline TPM123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 06:55 BST (UK) »
J.J. and Lilybell, I am overwhelmed with gratitude to you both for all of your incredible help! Thanks to you I have more info than I could imagine was even out there....

I just found the one document I was able to find from many years ago in an archives box in our basement...it's the 1861 Census from Stanley Twp. in Huron County--it states:

P. 10, Line 1-10-16:  Juley Lepain, L. Canada, W. Meth, 20, f

She is living with a family of 8--the Andrew & Sarah Rutledge family (I believe they were living in Bayfield).  Perhaps she was a servant?

This does seem to indicate her year of birth as about 1841, a little earlier than the info you found, J.J.--and her religion listed as W. Meth is curious.

You both have done so much wonderful homework (are you professional genealogists?  I am overwhelmingly impressed!) that I need to go through it all with a fine toothed comb and try to get my head wrapped around it all...

The miles between Elzevir and Bayfield to Southhampton where Julia died and is buried are pretty far apart, but not impossible to get around back then I suppose!  I wondered about Julia living with the Rutledge Family in 1861--Andrew Rutledge was a merchant, so I wonder how in the world she ended up there.  Must print everything off and start reading! THANKS!!

Offline TPM123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 07:12 BST (UK) »
I am very inexperienced as a "real" genealogist and appreciate so much your efforts....I want so badly to believe what you found is the right July/Juley/Julia! Is it possible the same person could show up on different 1861 censuses?  My mind is whirling from all this awesome new info to sort through...I wish I had found the 1861 Stanley Twp/Huron County OGS census and posted it before you did all the work in case they are different people...I want you to be right! :-)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 07:16 BST (UK) »
There is a death for an Alexio Lepan Dec 2 1885 Elzevir, Hastings, Ontario no age given on here...
https://www.familysearch.org/search/recordDetails/show?uri=https://api.familysearch.org/records/pal:/MM9.1.r/M39H-MYB/p1

I checked out the image for the death registration at Ancestry. It's hard to read but it looks like the place of birth listed for Alexander is La Prairie, Quebec. The informant was Joseph Lapam.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline TPM123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 07:17 BST (UK) »
I did not know that "L. Canada" referred to Quebec until you posted this--thank you very much!  The 1861 Stanley Twp census also says "Juley Lepain" was from L. Canada, that would be Quebec and not born in Ontario as I had always believed--another piece of the puzzle solved, little by little!

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 14:46 BST (UK) »
I too thought that the  death for William Meldman McDonald said 9 mo 3 days  but it actually says 0 Months +3 days.Thought how could

that be, had me scratching my head

But if one looks at the record closely and reads the first record that comes up it definately says 0 months.Some handwriting is quite difficult to decipher.

Lilybell ??? ??? ???
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 15:27 BST (UK) »
O.k. now you have another July...who is single and the correct age and even religion...I was thinking the reason the R.C. Julia may have not noted parents is that they may have not wanted the marriage to take place... All we really have is a lot of information, but no documents to support it, so all information needs to be looked at such as did the other July marry...who were the marriage witnesses, and their location...
so put all background information on hold now while you do that...
added:
ah...see now that you realize this...didn't note a page 2 was made since yesterday... ;D

yes, too bad you hadn't found that earlier...and I certainly am no genealogist...I just hunt for information.
These 3 have have access to more...so hopefully they find a Wes Meth family Julia may have come from.

I'm going to navigate the Wesleyan Methodist Baptismal Register

Uh, no wait a minute, she was born in Quebec....sigh....

Sorry jacquie...I had wrong family. the initial query was that she was born in Ontario so I figured it was a known thing...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline TPM123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 16:35 BST (UK) »
Dear J.J., I am very, very sorry I didn't realize until yesterday when you so kindly posted that "W. Canada" was actually referring to Quebec...that little nugget was hugely important and completely changed everything I and my family ever knew about Julia's birthplace...for 150 years my family has thought she was born in Ontario...until yesterday after you posted!  I feel really bad about you working so hard on my behalf digging and digging--and I got so excited, too...  Not being from Canada I had no idea that "W. Canada" wasn't just short for Ontario which was family tradition and seemed appropriate geographically...I am just so sorry I didn't post the correct info to begin with but I just didn't know until you corrected me...please forgive me and know your work was deeply appreciated...thank you, thank you...Tammi

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 17:17 BST (UK) »
Found the following birth records from the Drouin Collection do not know if this is the right Julia but will post them just in case.

Marie Julie Lapalme
Birth 1843
L'Assomption Quebec

Julie Lapine
1841 Naissance(birth)
Catholic
St. Bartheleny Quebec

These two birth are in Lanaudiere area.

Her maiden name seems to be taking on a whole new life with all the variations on spelling and how people perceive  the spelling.LOL

Lilybell ??? ???
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland