Author Topic: William and Mary(Gribbin) McClinton  (Read 8201 times)

Offline jojo1973

• RootsChat Extra
  • nalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William and Mary(Gribbin) McClinton
« on: Sunday 21 August 11 02:01 BST (UK) »
Searching for any info about the family of William and Mary McClinton of Kirkmaiden,Stoneykirk,Wigtownshire(? Im not familiar with towns or counties of Scotland yet) My great grandfather Robert was son of William and Mary..he was born 1898 Kirkcolm?.I have census records from Ancestry.Com,but im hoping someone will have some info thats not out there or that i have overlooked..Much Thanks,Jodi
McClinton,MacIntyre,West,Cohen,Kampel,Orton,Overbey,Bareswilt,Howell,Watson

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
Re: William and Mary(Gribbin) McClinton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 August 11 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi.
DGFHS, www.dgfhs.org.uk , have published the Memorial Inscriptions for Kirkmaiden graveyard.
See http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dfsgal/ for a brief photo tour of this graveyard.
There are a few McClintons interred there.  Here is the MI relating to your William and Mary.
I.H.S.
Erected by Mary CAIRNS
In Loving Memory of
Her husband, Robert McCLINTON, who died at Drummore 29th May 1896 aged 72 years
Also their grand-children:
Robert McCLINTON, who died at Low Drummore 18th June 1887 aged 1 year
Annie McCLINTON, who died at Southcairn, Kirkcolm, 2nd June 1898 aged 14 years
Also the above Mary CAIRNS, who died at Drummore 14th April 1903 aged 93 years
Also William McCLINTON, their son, died at Drummore 20th March 1931 aged 76 years
Also Mary GRIBBIN, wife of the above William McCLINTON, who died 7th May 1937 aged 77 years
Also Jessie McCLINTON, their daughter, who died 25th January 1987 aged 90 years
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline betsyblue

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 August 11 16:10 BST (UK) »

Here is the marriage for William and Mary I have it as I have a Gribben connection but not to this particular family.

11 June 1880 at Free Church Manse Stranraer  William McClinton  aged 24 ploughman of Eldrick Kirkmaiden son of Robert and Mary Cairns

Mary Gribbin aged 20 dairymaid of Balgreg?? Stranraer daughter of Thomas and Annie ?? Looks like Genery.

This is a very poor copy  I shall get on to SP and see if they can enhance it. I have never bothered as it was not one of mine.

Betsy.

Offline jojo1973

• RootsChat Extra
  • nalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 August 11 17:49 BST (UK) »
I cant thank both of you enough for the information!! That answered some of the questions i have been searching for..The localaties in Scotland confuse me so it has been a struggle pointing myself in the right direction. This family is my grandma irene mcclintons family and she was the greatest lady in the world and i want to know all i can about her family..Thanks again,jodi

Offline betsyblue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 August 11 18:51 BST (UK) »

Your very welcome Jodi and from the other reply  you have got a lot of informtaion.

If you go to the Scotlandspeople website it is a very reasonably priced pay as you go site and you can download them there and then up to certain dates.

From  death certs you will get the name of the husband or wife if they were married and their parents.

I can reccommend this site everybody helps if can so feel free to shout out if you need help

I know the area well but my aunt knows it really well I can always ask her if in doubt.

Betsy

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
More McClinton MIs in WIG
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 August 11 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hello again Jodi.
As Betsy says there a lot of helpful people on this forum. It is always nice to be thanked and usually it leads to more offerings.
Had a look for more McClinton gravestones in Wigtownshire and found these four:
1.  Stoneykirk Graveyard  WIG
Erected by John McCLINTON
In Memory of
His wife Janet HASTIE, who died at Ringuinea 5th April 1912 aged 61 years
His daughter Janet, died at Ringuinea 8th April 1892 aged 11 years
His daughter Sarah, died at Winnipeg, Canada, 15th Jan 1914 aged 24 years
His daughter Janet, who died at Uroigh, Castle Douglas, 26th May 1920 aged 24 years
Also the above John McCLINTON, who died at Barr, Sanquhar, 2nd Aug 1928 aged 75 years

2.  Stoneykirk Graveyard  WIG
In Loving Memory of
James McCLINTON, late of South African Constabulary, who died at Cottage Hospital, Castle Douglas, 21st Oct 1912 aged 37 years

3.  Kirkmaiden Graveyard  WIG
In Loving Memory of
William McGAW, who died at Holmelea, Drummore, 8th April 1931 aged 84 years
Also his wife, Janet GALLOWAY, who died at West Kirby, Cheshire, 2nd March 1886 aged 37 years
Also their children, William & William David, who died in infancy
Also their son, David, died 11th Sept 1983 aged 80 years, beloved husband of Robina McCLINTON, died 27th July 1985 aged 87 years

4.  Glenluce Cemetery
Erected by John LYNCH
In Memory of
Hannah McCLINTON, his dear wife, died 2nd Oct 1958 aged 84 years
Also the above John LYNCH, died 5th March 1961 aged 89 years
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline betsyblue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 August 11 20:28 BST (UK) »

That's great should help her well on her way

Betsy

Offline jojo1973

• RootsChat Extra
  • nalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 August 11 16:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again for the info!! I have found the census for john and janet an i am trying to tie these into my mcclinton family..maybe another son of robert,brother of william..the robina mcclinton mentioned is my ggrandfathers sister(also known as ruby or beenie).she is one of the only brothers and sisters to stay in scotland that i am aware of..at least 7 of them ended up traveling to america and 6 ended up living and dying in america..the other one,jessie traveled all over(im assuming military nurse?)and i have not until now knew when or where she ended up or died..i am posting a couple photos of the mcclintons so you put some names to the faces..Much thanks and many many hugs from Kentcky,Jodi

Offline jojo1973

• RootsChat Extra
  • nalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 August 11 16:45 BST (UK) »
Robert and Tina( MacIntyre)McClinton,the group photo was the McClinton family in New York,Irene on the floor to the far right(grandma,daughter of Robert and Tina),and the portrait is Mary McClinton who ended up in Rhode Island..(sister of Robert)