Author Topic: All Saints Church Cemetery, Hereford - COMPLETE  (Read 4545 times)

Offline Laura Murray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
All Saints Church Cemetery, Hereford - COMPLETE
« on: Sunday 21 August 11 16:14 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is still a cemetery at All Saints Church in Hereford. At least one of my ancestors was buried there in 1860 - John Snead. I would like to have a look for it when I get the chance to visit Hereford again.

Thanks, Laura

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: All Saints Church Cemetery, Hereford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 August 11 10:15 BST (UK) »
All Saints Church does not have a cemetery attached to it (not sure whether it ever did).  For many years, all burials in Hereford were interred into the graveyard at the Cathedral, but I believe that there was also a burial ground to the west of Hereford (just outside the city walls) in Eign Street.  Hereford records office staff are very helpful and knowledgable, so perhaps give them a ring http://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/leisure/archives/3584.asp

Offline RedMike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 August 11 22:34 BST (UK) »
If it ever did have a cemetery, it would have been in the early days of the church as the church is virtually in the middle of the town & has had buildings around it for a very long time
The burial ground that spidermonkey is referring to is probably the one situated at the junction of eign street & whitecross road, known locally as Sainsburys junction.
If you get google maps down to street view, look for a fast fit garage called ETB. To the right of ETB is a small grassed area & this I assume is the one.
There is another "burial ground" probably closer or eqidistance to All Saints Church and this one is situated in Commercial road opposite the junction with Union walk. This one is much larger than the Eign St burial ground. You can walk through here and read a few headstones.
My Line
Preece - Herefordshire.
Adams - Herefordshire.
Jenkins - Herefordshire South/ Ross On Wye.
Norman -Herefordshire.
Hall - Llanelly (Abergavenny).

My wife's line
George - Herefordshire & Denbighshire
Howells - Pandy (Abergavenny)
Ruck - Llangattock lingoed & Llantillio Crossenny (Abergavenny East)
Williams - Orcop Herefordshire
Meadmore - Orcop Herefordshire.

And of course  anyone marrying into the above,

Offline Laura Murray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 August 11 14:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you both. I will have a look when I'm next in Hereford.

Offline Thbull1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: All Saints Church Cemetery, Hereford - COMPLETE
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 October 19 20:20 GMT (UK) »
After seeing a newspaper article mentioning burial at the All Saints Burial ground I flund this thread...which is old. But for perpetuity i am adding this notation from a book mentioning Hereford burials.

https://books.google.com/books?id=BJxYAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA111&lpg=PA111&dq=all+saints+burying+ground+hereford&source=bl&ots=eXGuaLdGwi&sig=ACfU3U2MRy5O9igc-3Ir45DngbHvr4uaSg&hl=en&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=2ahUKEwiXtLu0ocLlAhXNtlkKHaOJCfoQ6AEwAnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=all%20saints%20burying%20ground%20hereford&f=false