Author Topic: marriage plymouth 1846 Nicholas King  (Read 1351 times)

Offline kim ter-horst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
marriage plymouth 1846 Nicholas King
« on: Wednesday 04 May 05 11:14 BST (UK) »
I am just about to give up looking for who married Nicholas King in the first quarter of 1846 - registered in plymouth vol 9 pg 429. 

I am fairly sure that he is the right Nicholas King.  He had a son Henry in 1850 in Bishops Waltham hampshire.  Henry's death certificate indicates father is Nicholas but mother's name is not legible.

please help if you can.

kim
london - ash/camplin/Bailey; yorkshire - simpson/tyson/pexton; cornwall - bennett hodge/gold; ireland - johnston/cusack kenny
Australia NSW/SA from 1850 onwards + germany (prussia), holland, dutch east indies

Offline fishweb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: marriage plymouth 1846 Nicholas King
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 May 05 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, I found a marriage for a Nicholas King 27/3/1846
to a Mary Stoneman at  Plymouth St Andrews.
Maybe this is yours?

Best Wishes

Cathy

cheshire capper houghton malia/melia fitzgerald higgins emson groves nickson
staffordshire burns goddard lindop davenport
wiltshire dowling chandler tuff
devon cox vinnecombe-butler pearce
cornwall bersey

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kim ter-horst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 May 05 09:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cathy

I found the entry on 1837online and she has the same page numebr and volume - so looks like she's the wife of Nicholas King.  I had had a closer look at Henry King's death certificate and the surname certainly isn't stoneman.  Mind you, the death certificate witness was his son in law in 1915 in country NSW.  I don't even know if his father and mother came to Australia since I haven't been able to find their arrival yet.  They may have had not much idea of his mother's identity at the time.

Information I have:
Henry king died in bathurst NSW in 1915 aged 64 years and had been in NSW "about" 57 years.   Born in Hampshire. Father's name Nicholas King (miner) mother's 1st name unknown surname something like "beenham" or "beckham".

so possiblities:
1846 plymouth marriage is for A nicholas king but not the right nicholas king
or
1850 hampshire (from IGI) birth for Henry king with parents Nicholas and Elizabeth is the wrong Henry King

kim
london - ash/camplin/Bailey; yorkshire - simpson/tyson/pexton; cornwall - bennett hodge/gold; ireland - johnston/cusack kenny
Australia NSW/SA from 1850 onwards + germany (prussia), holland, dutch east indies

Offline Guinea

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 May 05 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, There is a Nicholas King on 1881 census with a wife Mary, he was born 1824 , there are 5 other siblings in the family, and they are living at 3 Bath Place, Plymouth St Andrew, Piece/Folio 2199/27 page 47. PS: Nicholas was born in Kingston, Devon, also on the 81 census I saw a Henry King with a wife Frances in Hampshire, with the right date of birth, just maybe they are the right persons.

Maybe this will help.....Phil.
Norgate, Hele, Penrose,  Collings (Devon/Cornwall)
Greaves (West Yorkshire) Hoyle (West Yorkshire)
Sichter ( Australia ). McCreath (Scotland).Hardwick(Stafford)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kim ter-horst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 May 05 11:21 BST (UK) »
hi Giunea

Yeah, I have seen that Nicholas and Mary as well and I figure they are the nic and mary marrying in 1846.  I am just not convinced they are the parents of my Henry.  Henry was in Australia definitely (got married in sydney) by 1871 and I think he arrived around 1863.  I would seem unfair of Nic and Mary to send their young son to Australia without them - hence my doubts about the 1881 family being the right ones.

I have found a shipping record that looks like it might be right - "coldstream" 1862-63 had a henry (14) and sister eliza on board - right age at the right time - now I only have to get to the records office to find out.

kim