Author Topic: GERMANY: Dore family  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Scrouse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GERMANY: Dore family
« on: Monday 22 August 11 09:00 BST (UK) »
I'm in the same situation. All the info I have is on the 1891 UK Census where it says that my Great great Grandfather (Victor Dore in 1871) and his mother (Constance Dore in 1851) were born in Germany.
I haven't a clue about how to find where they were born, how they got to England etc.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GERMANY: Dore family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 August 11 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Scrouse,

I've split your message into a new post since it deals with a different family.

From 1891, what was your Victor's occupation?
Is this consistent on other records? (e.g. birthplace on 1901 and 1911 censuses, age/occupation on censuses, marriage and death certificates).
In any records does he list himself as "naturalised british subject"?
Did he marry in England, and if so, was a father's name/occupation given on his marriage certificate?

jorose
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Scrouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 18:37 BST (UK) »
1901 and 1911 census say both e and his mother were born in Bayswater (ony the 1891 says they were both born in Germany). Can't find a birth record for either of them or marriage record for the mother.Nothing on his marriage or death cert.
His marriage cert only gives his father's surname (Dore) no first names and says he was a 'silk tester'.
Can't find anything about naturalisation.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 12:18 BST (UK) »
Since he doesn't know his father's first name and his birthplace changes, it's not clear yet what the best route is to take.
It could be that they were born in Bayswater and that his father was German, that he was born under another surname, that his parents weren't married, etc.

Where were they living in 1891 and with who? (if they were lodgers perhaps the head of the household gave the info and didn't know properly where they were born).
When he married, where was he living and who were the witnesses?
Did Constance have any middle names, and when did she die?

It is interesting to note the Victor Dore (French), with a son also Victor (b. France and aged 17 in 1881, according to the transcription, but you should probably check the original) in 1881. His wife is Celeste, nee Manteau (as shown by her sister in the household), who seems to have died in 1900 using her maiden name, and he died in 1899 as Victor Dore.

Either this man, or less likely his son, may have been Victor Claude Dore who was from France and resident in London in 1884 when he naturalised (www.nationalarchives.gov.uk catalog)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Scrouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 12:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much. You've given me a lot more to think about.