Author Topic: Policeman in the Boer War  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Suttonrog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Policeman in the Boer War
« on: Tuesday 23 August 11 12:45 BST (UK) »
My GGG uncle Robert Wilcocks Bearne was a police sergeant in London Tooley Street, but his police service record is interupted between 1899 and 1902 with a hint that he was transferred to the Army. He then returns to Tooley Street.

Before becoming a policeman he was a midshipman in the Royal Navy. Probably not relevant.

I have found a different R Bearne in the Boer War service records.

Does anyone have any knowledge of what a policeman would be transferred to the Army for?

Rog

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Policeman in the Boer War
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 13:55 BST (UK) »
He was a recalled reservist.
I think the Boer War R Bearne IS your man (and the Royal Navy Robert Bearne in 1891 is NOT!).

The discharge papers of 3236 Private Robert Bearne, 1st (Royal) Dragoons, are on FindMyPast, and give his father's name as Edward Hugh Bearne of 16 E Peabody Ave, Pimlico, which is the same address as that of Edward Hugh BEARNE and Tryphena (nee WILLCOCKS, marriage registered at Exeter Q1 1877), the likely parents of your Robert Willcocks Bearne - although he appears to have been born 5 years before they married???

The papers show he was born in Highweek, Newton Bushel, Devon, c.1871, and enlisted in London on 18 Feb 1890. Previous occupation Cellarman. He signed up for 12 years, which was usually 7 years with the regiment, and 5 years in reserve (back to civilian life, but liable for recall in time of war). He was transferred to the Reserve on 18 Feb 1897, after which he must have joined the police. He was recalled on 9 Oct 1899 for the Boer War, and served for 2 yrs 250 days in South Africa, finally being discharged on 15 Aug 1902.

In 1891, the Robert Bearne in the Navy is a different chap. Your man is mistranscribed on Ancestry as Robert BEARSE, age 19, PoB ?Whealin, Devon. He is a Private soldier at St Giles District Cavalry and Artillery Barracks, Colchester, Essex.

Hope this helps!

Offline Suttonrog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 14:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks AP,

This is my man.

Cheers

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 November 11 10:33 GMT (UK) »
The Bearne tree on www.bearne.com confirms parents and "premature" birth. siblings also shown. Married Mary Elizabeth Beswick .
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline Suttonrog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 November 11 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Petmas,

My information on there, but thank you for finding it.

Rog