Author Topic: Brookwood, Woking  (Read 2234 times)

Offline poppyann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brookwood, Woking
« on: Tuesday 23 August 11 13:27 BST (UK) »
Brookwood was Surrey County Lunatic Asylum. Does any one know I would be able to access their records. I am looking for Edward Skilton who was there on the 1911 census. I think that he died about 1929. I would appreciate any help. Regards Poppyann

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Brookwood, Woking
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 15:53 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline poppyann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie, thank you for the information, I will look into things and I appreciate your help. Regards Poppyann

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

The National Archives Hospital database gives details of the types of records and the dates

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=1009&hospital=brookwood&town=&searchdatabase.x=45&searchdatabase.y=12

Asylum records are subject to a 100 year closure so for later case book records you may have to prove you are a direct descendant.
To find the case book records without a more time consuming search you need to know the patient number (cross references to the case books) which would be in the admission and discharge books. Again knowing date of entry or discharge are helpful. On the 1901 census the patients are recorded by their initials only. Do you think he died at the hospital? If he did that would make the search quicker initially in the discharge register.

Deaths Dec 1929   
Skilton  Edward J  66  Guildford  2a 127

Regards

Valda

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk