Author Topic: HILDRETHs of Co. Durham, yorkshire, Northumberland  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Yorkshire Viking

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HILDRETHs of Co. Durham, yorkshire, Northumberland
« on: Tuesday 23 August 11 15:34 BST (UK) »
I have posted a 15 page paper about htis family on the English counties board.

Offline lindagro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HILDRETHs of Co. Durham, yorkshire, Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 August 11 11:17 BST (UK) »
Having trouble finding this, can anyone direct me to it?    I'm interested as my husband has Hildreths in Northumberland in his family.
In Kent:-Bailey,Goodwin,Moore, In Northumberland:-Grounsell,Bouwman,Wood

Offline Yorkshire Viking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 August 11 11:36 BST (UK) »
hi Linda! The posts in the Yorkshire, Durham and Northumberland boards were just to say that I had written a paper. Here is the link, and when you get there you will find another link to download my Hildreth history.
Let me know if it works.
Steven Hildreth
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,551109.0.html

Offline lindagro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 August 11 13:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks, & yes the link does work!
Linda
In Kent:-Bailey,Goodwin,Moore, In Northumberland:-Grounsell,Bouwman,Wood

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 September 11 21:34 BST (UK) »
hi Linda! The posts in the Yorkshire, Durham and Northumberland boards were just to say that I had written a paper. Here is the link, and when you get there you will find another link to download my Hildreth history.
Let me know if it works.
Steven Hildreth
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,551109.0.html

Hello. Can I just ask if your database includes the spelling variant Hildrew? I'm afraid I couldn't open the link. My wife's maternal ancestors were Hildrews in Co. Durham and Northumberland, and we've traced the name back to Sedgefield. I strongly suspect that it's a spelling variant of Hildreth.

Harry

Offline Yorkshire Viking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 September 11 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hello, Harry. I am afraid that I have not done any research on the name Hildrew--in fact I have never seen or heard that name. What do you know about its origins?
It could be a variant spelling--but I am not sure: the name Hildyard, for example, seems to have completely different origins.
Here is the link to the Rootsweb page:  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,551109.0.html where you will find a download link to my Hildreth history.
best wishes
Steven Hildreth

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 September 11 23:58 BST (UK) »
My wife's mother is a Hildrew from North Shields, but her father was from Sunderland. We have found the name all over the north-east as Hildrew, Hildra and Hildray. Once many years ago I phoned the public library in North Shields and asked to speak to the local studies librarian - as I wanted a census looked up - and he turned out to be an Alan Hildrew (and a distant cousin of my wife!).

Harry

Offline Hildredus

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
HILDRETH Variant Names of Co. Durham, Yorkshire, Northumberland & Beyond
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 21:54 GMT (UK) »
I have a strong suspicion that many Hildreth variants maybe related, which is why I highly recommend all men with a variant spelling of the Hildreth name get tested with familytreedna like dozens of Hildreth men already have for over 20 years now.  The Hildreth name is very old, and may have started as a first name that descendants chose to honor the ancestor with it as their surname with the introduction of surnames.  Many famous variants have existed in Northern England and Southern Scotland.  My username for example is the Latin spelling used in church documents for Hildred the Knight, a crusader who fought in the Holy Land and was gentrified by the Norman conquerors to hold lands in Carlisle and surrounding towns.  Many believe all his descendants adopted Carlisle as their surname, but I found records of possible descendants named Fitz Hildred and De Hildreton.  There were a few people using these surnames in the 1200s.  A dispute that arose over Hildred's lands by his descendants during the reign of King John may have adopted his name as their surname to strengthen their claim to his land, unfortunately not enough documentation survives to prove this.  Another famous variant is Sir Thomas De Ilderton of Northumberland whose ancestors used Hildreton as their spelling.  The oldest known spelling of Hildreth comes from John Hildreth who owned the Manor of Hallikeld in Yorkshire, later is a Rauf Hildreth who owned lands in Yorkshire.  The Hildreth surname in its spelling can be found all over England in the 1500s, but its most concentrated in North Yorkshire and Durham.