Author Topic: British factory Lisbon  (Read 19672 times)

Offline EmilySarahRose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: British factory Lisbon
« Reply #27 on: Monday 10 October 11 18:21 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about the British Factory Lisbon?
I am trying to find out about a Thomas Coverly who was orphaned and taken into the care of a British gentleman at the British Factory in Lisbon in 1820

Hi Wee Lassie

I was at the Dorset archive on Saturday as was looking up information on my ancestors the Garland family (one of whom looked after Thomas Coverly ).  In the archive was a booklet of an annual report & review of the Historical Association, Lisbon Branch dated 1945 in which there is an atricle written by my great great aunt on the garlands.   Whilst i was looking through the booklet, i noticed there was also an article on the British Factory.   I have asked for copies of the article about my family & also a copy of the british factory one in case this info is of any use to you.

They are copying & sending to me in the post, so i'll let you knpow when i get it & if its of any relevance.

Cheers

Emily 

Offline Wee lassie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 10 October 11 18:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I would be interested in anything that can help to piece together Thomas's story. I have sent you my email by private message.
Cheers Fay

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 19 February 12 13:37 GMT (UK) »
In the hope that all the experts on this thread are still reading it....can anyone fill in some detail on another family associated with the British presence in Lisbon? Here's what I think I know so far, my big question being linking George Dennis Walsh with Francis Murrogh Walsh, and supplementaries the fate of Francis' six children:

Walsh family of Lisbon

George Dennis Walsh b Canary Islands abt 1783 d Lisbon 1859 m Amelia Sarsfield 1810 in Lisbon. Known issue Amelia Sarsfield Walsh who m John Moore Cole Aiey Capt, RN at St Geo Hannover Square in 1851, no issue.

Francis Murrogh Walsh b Portugal 1813 d Paddington 1900 m Janet Croker (1824-90) at Fedamore Co Limerick 1845. Known issue:
1. Adeline Catherine b Lisbon 1847 m St Geo Hannover Sq 1881, not traced beyond this
2. Francis M L Walsh b Ballynagarde Co Limerick 1848
3. Evelyn Alice Walsh b Dublin 1852 m Herbert Rowland Simons (b 1850) (aka Symons) in Kensington 1881
4. Henryetta S Walsh b London 1854 according to 1861 Census but not showing on b indexes
5. Frederick H Walsh b Paris 1857, found in 1891 and 1901 census
6. Edward Croker Walsh b Ireland 1858 (though I’m not certain about this)

Murrogh Walsh & Co were forwarding agents and bankers in Lisbon.

Two bankruptcy cases: one for Edward Croker Walsh, Haverfordwest 1924 and one for Francis Murrogh Walsh late of No. 11, Gloucester-square, Hyde Park, in the county of Middlesex, and now of the Hotel de Flandre, Spa, in the Kingdom of Belgium, Gentleman in 1871.

Speculation: was Francis Murrogh Walsh a son of George Dennis Walsh?
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline scienceplan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 20:54 BST (UK) »
This is a message for Wee Lassie who was looking for info on Thomas Coverley of Porto on this site last year. If you are still interested, my husband is a descendant of Charles Coverley who was orphaned on the Abeona and was brought up with his brother in Oporto. Are you related to the Coverleys?

Offline Wee lassie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 20 September 12 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Scienceplan
I am indeed very interested on any information on the Coverleys. Thomas was my 2xgreat grandfather. I have followed him to Portugal but he has obviously come back to Scotland at some point and married Helenora Brown in Edinburgh in1834. They had a daughter Jane soon after. That is where trail goes cold again. I can find no further trace of Thomas. In 1851 census Helenora has remarried and Jane is living with her mother stepfather and stepsisters. I can find no record of Thomas's death. I would love to hear about his life in Portugal. I have found quite a bit about Charles on Ancestry but not about Thomas. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Offline scienceplan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 27 September 12 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hello and sorry for the late reply. I'm afraid i can shed very little light on Thomas Coverley but I can ask my father in law who has charted the family tree if he knows anything, He is the great-great-great grandson of Charles. which means you and my husband are cousins.. Is your surname Coverley? My father in law will be thrilled if so! Also are you related to the  Coverley from Scotland who was killed during the Battle of Britain during World War 2? He was in the RAF I believe.

Also, have you been to Oporto? The factory house there may have some record as the Coverleys were fairly prominent there.
I'm seeing my father in law next month so i will definitely ask him for info on Thomas. Meanwhile we'd be interested in where you found lots of detail on Charles Coverley's life?

Offline Scholar Gypsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 08 September 14 00:20 BST (UK) »
In the hope that all the experts on this thread are still reading it....can anyone fill in some detail on another family associated with the British presence in Lisbon? Here's what I think I know so far, my big question being linking George Dennis Walsh with Francis Murrogh Walsh, and supplementaries the fate of Francis' six children:

Walsh family of Lisbon

George Dennis Walsh b Canary Islands abt 1783 d Lisbon 1859 m Amelia Sarsfield 1810 in Lisbon. Known issue Amelia Sarsfield Walsh who m John Moore Cole Aiey Capt, RN at St Geo Hannover Square in 1851, no issue.

Francis Murrogh Walsh b Portugal 1813 d Paddington 1900 m Janet Croker (1824-90) at Fedamore Co Limerick 1845. Known issue:
1. Adeline Catherine b Lisbon 1847 m St Geo Hannover Sq 1881, not traced beyond this
2. Francis M L Walsh b Ballynagarde Co Limerick 1848
3. Evelyn Alice Walsh b Dublin 1852 m Herbert Rowland Simons (b 1850) (aka Symons) in Kensington 1881
4. Henryetta S Walsh b London 1854 according to 1861 Census but not showing on b indexes
5. Frederick H Walsh b Paris 1857, found in 1891 and 1901 census
6. Edward Croker Walsh b Ireland 1858 (though I’m not certain about this)

Murrogh Walsh & Co were forwarding agents and bankers in Lisbon.

Two bankruptcy cases: one for Edward Croker Walsh, Haverfordwest 1924 and one for Francis Murrogh Walsh late of No. 11, Gloucester-square, Hyde Park, in the county of Middlesex, and now of the Hotel de Flandre, Spa, in the Kingdom of Belgium, Gentleman in 1871.

Speculation: was Francis Murrogh Walsh a son of George Dennis Walsh?

Yes, indeed, the evidence shows that Francis Murrogh or Morrogh Walsh was the eldest son of George Dennis Walsh, viz.:

FASHIONABLE INTELLIGENCE
Francis Walsh, Esq., eldest son of George D. Walsh, Esq., of Lisbon and Cintra, will shortly lead to the hymeneal altar, Miss Janet Croker, the young and lovely daughter of John Croker, Esq., this county.— Limerick Chronicle. [i.e. reprinted from that newspaper by the Cork Examiner]
24 November 1845, Cork Examiner, p. 3, col. 6

MARRIAGES
On Wednesday morning, by special license [sic], at Fedamore Church, by her uncle, the Rev. Robert Croker, and afterwards by the Right Rev. Dr. Ryan, R. C. Bishop of. Limerick. Francis M. Walsh, eldest son of J. Walsh, Esq., of Lisbon and Cintra, to Janette, daughter of John Croker, Esq , Ballinagarde, D.L.
5 December 1845, Cork Examiner, p. 3, col. 7
[note the discrepancy in the groom's father's name, J. Walsh, with that given in the engagement annoucement first, i.e. George D. Walsh. Burke's Landed Gentry and BLG of Ireland, 1899, sub Croker of Ballynagarde, both give his father's name as George WALSH, of Lisbon. I expect that J. Walsh is either an error, or possibly indicates the first letter of that name in Portuguese, which is spelt Jorge, as in Spanish, but pronounced with a Portuguese 'J', which sounds like a French 'J'.]

MARRIAGES
On the 3d instant, at Fedamore Church, by her uncle, the Rev. Robert Croker, and afterwards by the Right Rev. Doctor Ryan, Catholic Bishop of Limerick, Francis M. Walsh, Esq, eldest son of J. Walsh. Esq, of Lisbon and Cintra, to Jannette, daughter of John Croker, Esq. of Ballinagarde, county Limerick, and niece of Colonel Croker, of the 17th regiment.
5 December 1845 - Freeman's Journal, Dublin, p. 4, col. 6

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 18:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that. I'm so pleased to get a bit more confirmatory evidence for this family.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Scholar Gypsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 15 September 14 07:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that. I'm so pleased to get a bit more confirmatory evidence for this family.

You're very welcome. I have been working on this WALSH family as a tangential line in my investigation of the SIMONS later SYMONS family, descended from John SIMONS and his wife Frances "Fanny". Two of their children (Herbert Rowland, and Vincentia Sybil Money-Kyrle Simons otherwise Symons) married into this WALSH family with its interesting Portuguese banking connexions. If you are also following them, I should be glad to compare notes. Please contact me at my direct email address leliwite @ gmail dot com.

Thank you,

Richard otherwise Scholar Gypsy