Author Topic: British factory Lisbon  (Read 19673 times)

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: British factory Lisbon
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 August 11 17:16 BST (UK) »
The Garland family seem to have originated from Dorset and also did business in Newfoundland. John Watts Garland is a possiblity; I think he is the J.W. Garland listed as a merchant in Lisbon in 1810 (dealing in "Stationery, lead, iron and steel, and codfish"), and here he is mentioned as of Lisbon in the will of his father, Thomas, in 1828:
http://www.willtranscriptions.co.uk/surnames/g-h-i/garland_thomas_g74.htm

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Newspaper-Obits/nflder-1831-34.shtml
 - and he died in Lisbon in 1834.
His will is online from here (wonder if it might mention the Coverly boys?): http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/

(might have been another member of this family, but he seems to have been the one in Lisbon the longest).

The survivors were picked up by a Portuguese merchant ship, the Condega da Fonte, on its way to Lisbon, which was the reason they were first brought there as opposed to any other place.

Worth quoting, from the archive.org link below:
You will perceive Gentlemen by the accompanying List of the saved that numerous young Children are included. The Parental affection never shone with greater lustre than on this occasion. Mothers and Fathers apparently regardless of themselves caught up their young Children and threw them into the Boats, and in one family (Barrie's) the eight junior
are preserved, one only a Child of fifteen months old, while the noble Parents with their Eldest Son and Daughter are numbered
with the dead.

Regarding the adoption/taking in of children:
I have considered it to have been my duty to have allowed several young Boys and Girls who have become Orphans to be taken by the different English Gentlemen here desirous of having them and who have pledged themselves to provide for them, considering it a better prospect than any they can have at home.

"I" in this case is Lieutenant Mudge, of the Royal Navy, who was aboard the ship (as emigrant agent?).

Although some of the survivors were sent back to Scotland soon afterwards, it may have been the case for Thomas and Charles, and some of the other children, that they didn't have relatives in Scotland who they could be returned to; or it may have been that it was thought/assumed that their relatives back home might not have been able (financially) to provide for two extra children.

They probably were not adopted as such (clearly didn't take the name) but provided with accomodation and education by Mr Garland (perhaps in his house), and potentially apprenticed to someone in the British community in Lisbon. With the Garland family heavily involved in shipping and trade, Thomas  could have been working on ships and ended up in Edinburgh for business.

Do you have the original image of Thomas' marriage in Scotland? Just wondering if it gave any hints, or perhaps if any later records (such as the marriage of his child) mention his occupation.
Also possibly of interest, Thomas Coverley the "gentleman's servant" travelling to the US in 1834, aged 25:
http://castlegarden.org/quick_search_detail.php?p_id=4244941
Although he is listed as slightly younger, the Thomas Coverly, "merchant" b. Scotland in Florida in 1850 (who then disappears, at least as far as I can see).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wee lassie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 August 11 14:26 BST (UK) »
J w garland looks very likely. Charles Coverly was cared for by another English gentleman a Mr Monroe.
 Thomas' occupation was given as brewer in both his marriage certificate and in his daughters marriage certificate. In his daughters marriage certificate his name was given as James Coverly brewer deceased. He either died young or left his wife when his daughter was a baby so she would not have known her father so this may have lead to the different names. He was Thomas again on his wife's death certificate.
I can not find any trace of his daughters birth but according to marriage and death certificates she was born 1835 in Edinburgh.
I have been reading about the Port industry in Portugal and wondered if Thomas could have worked for one of the Scottish firms who were based in Portugal. I realise that Port isn't brewed but it is a link with the drinks business. Sandemans was based in Perth. Helenora Brown his wife was born in Perth although they were married in Edinburgh. Probably just a coincidence.
I would love to find Thomas' death as I am sure that would answer a few questions.
Cheers Fay

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 August 11 15:12 BST (UK) »
The Scots were very prominent in the Port business, Mr Monroe doesn't sound like an Englishman!Skoosh.

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 August 11 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi :)

I live near to the English and Scottish border and a friend and I have been researching a local family Carruthers, who among other things  were wine merchants in Lisbon.

It's definitely been slow in Portugal, but we did have a couple of lucky breaks, so maybe they would work for you?

We had a real problem with the deaths and even working out how many of them there were!

I did strike lucky though when William Carruthers' death and also Isaac's were reported in an English Newspaper - especially as I had no idea of death year and wasn't even sure when they were born.

I just put the name in and was lucky - I might have put Lisbon in or some such clue as well.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure which database it was, but I think it was British 19C newspapers from the British Library, available online by signing in with a library membership number from most of our libraries.

That gave me a little detail abpout the death and even about them.

I then contacted the British chiurch in Lisbon where I had read they were buried.  The chaplain and staff were so kind and checked both burial register and inscriptions

There is a picture on the web if you put in British Burial ground and the chaplaincy have a lovely site too.

I hope you find what youi're looking for.

Best wishes

Emms :)
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 August 11 20:50 BST (UK) »
PS

Some lovely photographs and a link to the chaplain's email and to googlemaps here.

I emailed them, though I'm wondering if some of the info is on line now?

Good luck! :)

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline EmilySarahRose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 September 11 22:58 BST (UK) »

Hi Guys

John Watts Garland, merchant of Lisbon is my Great x4 Grandfather.

The inscription on his tombstone in the English Cemetery, Lisbon, reads:

"His loss will be long deplored by his relatives and acquaintances.  He was a kind and affectionate brother and a friend to the poor"

This certainly fits with the sort of guy who would take in a young boy & look after him.

Just thought you may find this of use.

Em  xxx

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 September 11 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi :)

I live near to the English and Scottish border and a friend and I have been researching a local family Carruthers, who among other things  were wine merchants in Lisbon.

It's definitely been slow in Portugal, but we did have a couple of lucky breaks, so maybe they would work for you?

We had a real problem with the deaths and even working out how many of them there were!

I did strike lucky though when William Carruthers' death and also Isaac's were reported in an English Newspaper - especially as I had no idea of death year and wasn't even sure when they were born.

I just put the name in and was lucky - I might have put Lisbon in or some such clue as well.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure which database it was, but I think it was British 19C newspapers from the British Library, available online by signing in with a library membership number from most of our libraries.

That gave me a little detail abpout the death and even about them.

I then contacted the British chiurch in Lisbon where I had read they were buried.  The chaplain and staff were so kind and checked both burial register and inscriptions

There is a picture on the web if you put in British Burial ground and the chaplaincy have a lovely site too.

I hope you find what youi're looking for.

Best wishes

Emms :)

Emms, some of my dad's ancestors apparently came from Portugal.  My g.g.gran was apparently called Da Costa or similar, however my dad told me years ago he thought a male ancestor was called Carreiras - was that a corruption of Corruthers perhaps?  I'm going to have to do some more searching to see if I can turn up anything.  As the son of Da Costa, my g.grandad didn't marry g.gran I can't find out anything about his early life.  I've just about given up on that line, even though g.grandad was born about 1860, give or take 5 years.  I have a feeling he could have changed his name or was illegitimate and adopted.

Offline Wee lassie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 23 September 11 19:23 BST (UK) »
That's really interesting Emms. It is amazing the information you get on this site. John Watts Garland must have been a very kind and generous man. It can not have been easy to have taken in a boy who had been through such a traumatic experience. Thomas had lost both his parents and all but one of siblings in what must have been a terrifying experience at sea. I have no idea what would have happened to him if your ancestor had not cared for him.
Does anyone have any idea how I could find when he returned to Scotland ?

Offline EmilySarahRose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 23 September 11 20:38 BST (UK) »

It it nice to know one of my ancestors did something so generous.......as far as finding out when Thomas may have gone to Scotland, the Ancestry.co.uk site has detailed shipping lists of inbound & outgoing ships.  It may be worth a look on there, but i'm not sure if the records go back as far as 1820 - worth a try though.

Em  :)