Author Topic: Charles Boniface deceased in Canada?  (Read 16325 times)

Offline reedyspur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Boniface deceased in Canada?
« on: Thursday 25 August 11 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hello im hoping someone could shed some light on my 2nd great grandfather Charles Boniface (married to Sarah cutlip Salter). I found info connecting him to Devonport, devon, UK via his daughter Alvena w r Boniface birth cert in 1903. Somewhere around 1903 the family traveled to Canada and they had another son called george Crawford who was born in Canada. In between this time and around 1907 i believe he passed away in Canada.

Sarah remarried a John Robbins after and i cant find any thing about charles Boniface after 1903.

If anyone could be of help i would be very grateful !

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Boniface deceased in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 August 11 16:01 BST (UK) »
On the Lake Manitoba arriving 23 Mar 1906 is
Charles Boniface 26, b. Middlesex destination Montreal with
Sarah 26, Mary 3, Alvena 8 mos, all born Devon.

Debbie

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 August 11 18:51 BST (UK) »
I see from the 1911 England census that the family had already returned. It also indicates Sarah and John Robbins had been married for 2 years and they had a 1 year old daughter. The census also indicates that her son, George was born in Mile Stone, Canada (actually Milestone and it's located in Saskatchewan).

There is a birth in the Saskatchewan Vital Stats genealogy database (http://www.isc.ca/VitalStatistics/Genealogy/vsgs_srch.aspx) for George Crawford Boniface born 31 Mar 1907 in Regina (that refers to the registration district and not specifically the city) with Charles Boniface and Sarah Cutlip Salter listed as parents. The same database has deaths up to 1917 but there were no entries for anyone with the surname Boniface.

You may want to consider the possibility that Sarah didn't like living in Canada and returned to England with the children.

And welcome to RootsChat. In future, it is always best to include as much information as possible about a person when you are requesting help. If you have any additional information regarding Charles (parents' names, birthplace) it would help.

As well, in Canada there is no central registry for BMD events as it is a provincial jurisdiction so any bit of information regarding their time in Canada is also helpful.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 August 11 20:01 BST (UK) »
It looks like Charles applied for a land grant in Saskatchewan:
http://www.saskhomesteads.com/search.asp
After searching his name, if you click on the file number link it gives information regarding how to order the file. Applying for a land grant does not mean he was actually granted the land and it should be noted there usually is not much in the way of genealogical information included.

The Saskatchewan Genealogical Society has a Saskatchewan Residents Index database (http://saskgenealogy.com/databases/indexes.aspx) and a search of that has a C. Boniface listed as being a resident of Readlyn and of Verwood. The non-members database doesn't give dates but I was able to find out from a member that the Readlyn entry was for 1907 and the Verwood entry for 1910. Readlyn and Verwood are in the same area as the land in the homestead database entry and they are in the general vicinity of Milestone as well (about 130 km away).

If this is the same Charles it would seem to indicate that he was still alive when Sarah re-married (did she actually marry John Robbins? I haven't been able to find a marriage for them).

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

Offline reedyspur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 August 11 22:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you vey much,thats given me some information to work thought tonight ! Thanks again

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 August 11 02:30 BST (UK) »
Do you have any information about who the parents of Charles Boniface are and where he was born? I've had some hits to a few searches for possible sightings but can't confirm without further information.

Jacquie

Offline reedyspur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 August 11 05:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacquie

No i dont have any details about parents and such i will be researching over the weekend and will let you know as soon as i find anything - thanks loads for your help so far  ;D

Offline reedyspur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 August 11 07:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your help ! I have ordered a marriage certificate for sarah salter and charles Boniface and should receive it in the next couple of weeks..... This will give me a bit more information to trace him back further...... you have all been a great help i have taken all the info given by you all and added to my tree.

Thanks

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 August 11 07:21 BST (UK) »
Be sure to post his father's name once you know it and we'll see if we can find anything new.

Jacquie