Author Topic: Charles Boniface deceased in Canada?  (Read 16334 times)

Offline cookie1975

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Boniface deceased in Canada?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Charles Boniface was my greatx3 uncle. This has been a fascinating read although I need to read it again to take in all the info on here!!  His mother Maria Edmonds was my Greatgranx3 and she had 8 children in total. Charles was her second son, she only had two sons the eldest died at a very young age in a work house in plymouth Devon. Charles's father, William boniface b.1849 Dublin was Irish and he was a seaman who apparently died at sea in the late 1890'S, I was sent a family tree listing all the Boniface family from Ireland.. Maria had already re-married to a Charles Ashton (1885) so was she a bigamist??? She had a daughter Henrietta before this marriage but she gave the child the Boniface surname but her middle name was Ashton. Probably as she was still married to William she felt she had to give her the Boniface name?? Three daughters followed all named Ashton, she was married to him by that point. Maria then a few years later had another two girls with a much younger man  named Gifford. The strange thing about all of this is all the children except the last two took the name Boniface, maybe they unliked the name Ashton or disliked their father.. They used it when they all married and its only been recently discovered.
Charles has been a mystery to our family. We know he was a seaman also, records show he served from an early age until 1900's ish, i think he served for about 4 years only. I have a picture of Charles with his mum in uniform but I'm not sure it was when he first served in the Navy. Someone did look at the picture and they believed it was taken around 1910.. I dont have any info to hand at the moment but will try and find it as someone may reconise the uniform. If it was taken at that time he must have come home at some point.I did find the passenger records of them all leaving for Canada, I believe they landed on Charles birthday.... One of the daughters listed was named Mary but I believe the correct name should have been Eveline Elizabeth Boniface, maybe that was her nickname. I also found them returning with out Charles and Eveline but Sarah had her new little boy George crawford.. Maybe there's some record of Eveline's death in Canada or maybe she remained with her father?
Any help would be very much appreiciated, Charles has been a difficult relative to find..
Thanks

Kindest Regards

Lisa Dart

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 15:50 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat!  ;D

Yes by definition, she was a bigamist as unless you find a divorce, she had 2 husbands at once...
Eveline Elizabeth was the youngest one, ( If you've proven the parents, as she's Alvina on passenger list) so I believe Mary is the older child.
( Don't see a registered birth in Devon )
The image from passenger list, March 25th 1906, ( from info found earlier by Debbie)
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e146/e003649565.jpg

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 21:56 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the ages were reversed on the passenger list for the two daughters. Alvena's birth was registered in 1903 so there's no way she was 8 months old in Mar 1906 but Eveline's birth was registered in the 3rd quarter of 1905 which would make her about that age so it does seem possible she was Mary.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline cookie1975

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 22:06 BST (UK) »
I know Eveline Elizabeth Boniface was born in Totnes Devon  04/07/1905, to both Charles and Sarah as I have the birth cert.. She was the youngest but thought that maybe the ages were put in the wrong boxes in the passenger list. ? Charles and Sarah never had a child registered as Mary, maybe it's possible they gave Eveline this name? Thoughts please.

many thanks

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 22:14 BST (UK) »
I thought that was Alvina in the 1905 births as well until I checked and she is on the 1911 with another family, isn't she...? Hmmmm...Unless she got back after all and is living with aunts/uncles?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 22:34 BST (UK) »
I thought that was Alvina in the 1905 births as well until I checked and she is on the 1911 with another family, isn't she...? Hmmmm...Unless she got back after all and is living with aunts/uncles?

In 1911 Alvina Winifred Ruby Boniface is with her mother and step-father on the 1911 England census. The only unaccounted child is this Eveline Elizabeth Boniface who seems to have been called Mary on the passenger list. As I said in my previous post, it looks like the ages for the daughters were reversed on the passenger list.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline cookie1975

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacquie

I'm sure this must be the case regarding the ages.. I have just searched again hoping to find Eveline somewhere but I can only think that she must have died before her mother returned home. I've just found a marriage entry for Sarah C Robbins in 1942, looks like she married a John Cain only a few months after her late husband John H robbins Died. Her death is then registered in 1945 Bromley Kent.

I remember reading a previous thread mentioning Sarah finally marrying John Robbins, I wonder why she left it so late. Did she get news of Charles dying maybe?

lisa

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 23:30 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Beg pardon I got mixed up  ::) between the two names when looking at the Freebmd...  Guess they may have as well...thus the Mary, but you'd think they'd have used her middle name? As you say, the ages were probably reversed for the children. I 'll leave you with the experts, as I can't remember days later what I read on the first page :D  J.J.

I remember reading a previous thread mentioning Sarah finally marrying John Robbins
Oh, say!  ;D  I 'm not the only one who can't remember from page to page, as that was on this thread, page 2

Offline cookie1975

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 23:47 BST (UK) »
I'm finding very difficult to remember everything I've read on here J J, hee hee. I'm currently suffering from baby brain, I have a little 4 month old!!

I hope you can help with anything, Its so much easier when you have more people researching... I'm hoping Phil(reedyspur) joins in with this thread again soon.

Lisa