Author Topic: Jones Dilemma !Liverpool Jones  (Read 4207 times)

Offline wise1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jones Dilemma !Liverpool Jones
« on: Friday 26 August 11 21:45 BST (UK) »
Problem !

Not sure what to do here .

I have a Great Uncle in my family tree which is causing a bit of bother  & am in the process of knocking on as many doors as possible with Internet , newspaper request in different regions  .  Problem is the surname of Jones .

Now before everyone wades in with " you have got no chance " and " you are going to need deep pockets " - I really would appreciate those members giving this a miss, as I would have given up years ago .

My Gt Uncle had 2 daughters . First one I have gone as far as I possibly can ( 2 yrs of researching 3 surname changes only to find a very unhelpful relative at the end of the trail ) .

The 2nd daughter Norah Jones born Liverpool 2nd June 1919 ( no middle name )  -  is where I am starting a new trail .
Can any members of the forum assist with details of possible marriage , children etc for Norah  .

My Big question is would I be charged every time if I submitted all Norah Jones in Liverpool marriages via  Lancashire bmd details ?

If its of any use :

Norah 's Mum went on to marry another chap after  WW1 .

Here are the details :

Mar 1917 Jones, Mary F - [Melia] - Toxteth Pk

This is Nora's birth:
Births Sep 1919 Jones, Norah - [Melia]

Mary's second marriage:
Marriages Jun 1921 Jones, Mary and McCarthy, Hugh - Toxteth Park -

And the birth of her son Hugh...
Births Dec 1921 McCarthy, Hugh - [Melia] - Toxteth

The family was still in Liverpool up to 1939

Names of people who may still be living removed as per rootschat rules

Ultimately I am looking for someone who may be related who may have a photo of my great uncle.

Long straw I know , but its a great challenge .

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jones Dilemma !Liverpool Jones
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 August 11 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hiya....if you know the family were still in Liverpool up to 1939 ??.....can I ask how you know and more importantly , do you have an address ?...Toxteth Park covers a large area and an address would reduce the research area considerably .....allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline wise1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 August 11 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan

The people removed by the moderator were all born in Liverpool up to 1939 . This was provided by the relative of the 1st Child Mary F  Jones.

I dont have an address for the births . My Gt Uncles address was  13 Vaughan St, Toxteth up till 1921 . I checked that at the records office on the rolls & have it confirmed on the births of the 2 daughters .

From 1921  I presume she met Hugh McCarthy & started her 2nd family . All of the people removed by the moderator are no longer with us , again confirmed by the relative of the 1st daughter . I found out in 1945 that The McCarthy family moved to Wrexham due to their home being blitzed  & I have that address ( Wrexham ) . They stayed there whilst the new family were growing up .

My gut reaction is , Norah would have been 20 by the outbreak of WW2 & the numbers involved in the 2nd family she may have married in Liverpool . But I have nothing at this time.

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 August 11 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi wise1,

Unless you say that the people you have posted are deceased we will err on the side of optimism and assume that they are still alive  ;D

If you are absolutely certain that they are deceased then you can repost them as long as the information isn't too recent (imagine that you are googling and come across the information about your recently deceased relative and how you might feel).

Hope this is OK,

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 August 11 14:04 BST (UK) »
lancashirebmd.org.uk only lists 2 marriages of a Norah around the time you would expect a marriage. Both give the church.

You could either check whether their registers are at Liverpool Record Office and go and look up the marriages and check father's name.

or

Send for the certificate requesting you only want it if the father's name is correct.

Another thought would be to contact the Liverpool Echo and see if they would put something in.

Gibel

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 August 11 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)

You could also try Northwales bmd in case Norah married in e Wrexham area:

http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/cgi/marrind.cgi

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 August 11 09:17 BST (UK) »
I cannot see the name of the Great Uncle. If you have Nora's birth certificate can you post the details.

Thanks Ken

Offline wise1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 August 11 10:24 BST (UK) »
My Gt Uncle's name was Thomas Arthur Jones .

A very kind member has contacted me with a  strong link .

Just a possibility for you - there was a Norah Harvey who died in Wrexham in 1996 who was born 2 June 1919; and there is a marriage in Liverpool in 1942 of Norah Jones to John H Harvey.

I am going to check this out 1st .

Offline wise1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Jones Dilemma !Liverpool Jones COMPLETED
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 September 11 16:32 BST (UK) »
Found a relative of Norah  !!!

There are some truly brilliant people on this forum .

Thank you to all involved & everyone above who assisted .

Thanks everyone