Author Topic: Benjamin Cooper  (Read 8509 times)

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Cooper
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 23 October 11 20:33 BST (UK) »
No I haven't found out Benjamin's father's name -Im completely stuck!
 Sorry -I've posted in Essex (-to find his wife which I have now done ), in Armed Forces to find his army record and here on Denbighshire because he was born in Wrexham. A bit of a scattergun approach, which may be confusing things.
To clarify -The only Benjamin Cooper born in Wrexham in the right time frame was the son of Benjamin Cooper, wine merchant, and his wife Elizabeth -BUT he was baptised in 1824 and all the other dates I have for Benjamin (army attestation and discharge and 1871 census and death in 1878) point to a dob of 1828.
So either he is the son of the wine merchant but his parents died and he did not know his exact age (though 4 years is a lot to lose!)or he is someone else entirely -maybe born outside the town or born in Wrexham but baptised elsewhere. I'd wondered if his father was also in the army I haven't found him recorded as an army birth.
So far I've got no evidence either way. The army papers I have don't show his birth details -apart from age (18years 9 months on 20th May 1847) and the birthplace Wrexham. The marriage record has no details about him at all apart from his rank -Gunner and Driver Royal Artillery.
His middle name was Walter which is shown on his death record.
???
So where shall I look now?
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 23 October 11 22:45 BST (UK) »
Wrexham Baptisms
6 Aug 1824 bap/o Benjamin COOPER s/o
Benjamin (wine merchant) & Elizabeth, York Street, Wrexham .

BANKRUPTS .
The Derby Mercury  Wednesday, October 20, 1824
Benjamin Walton Cooper, Wrexham. spirit merchant . Nov 1,2 27 at Wynnstay Arms, Wrexham, solicitor Mr Browne Wrexham.

Family Search.
BENJAMIN WALTON COOPER
Spouse:  ELIZABETH WILLIS  Family
Marriage:  02 DEC 1818   Saint Martin, Birmingham, Warwick, England

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 23 October 11 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I've been looking at Benjamin's Army record for any hints as the marriage cert doesn't have a middle name mentioned for either of them (see
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,562315.msg4147583.html#msg4147583  )

One thing that hasn't been said on any of the threads that I can see is that,  when Benjamin enrolled at Acton, Wrexham on 20 May 1847,   he was described as a Hawker, so the one living close to the Beast Market might be a good possible.

Also, Yorke Street was/is adjacent to the market area.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 24 October 11 07:54 BST (UK) »
The only mention I've  found of his middle name is on the record of his death in Gravesend 1878.
I didn't see the section about his enlisting in Acton until I read your post and checked again-the copy I printed off is quite smudged and faint.
So the story may be -the parents have died, the wine business gone and with no means of learning a proper trade, young Benjamin takes up hawking in the market. Then he decides to enlist in the army, where he spends the rest of his working life.
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 27 October 11 12:35 BST (UK) »
See Reply 10

1841 census
Lambpit Street:
William COOPER aged 20 Plasterer not born in County.

Beast Market:
Benjm. COOPER     15   born in County

It`s been confirmed off line that this William was also a son of Benjamin Cooper , Wine merchant, and he was born  Birmingham. ( later census and marriage cert)

An Elizabeth Cooper of Beast Market was buried Wrexham 27 Jan 1829 aged 33.

This matches a likely candidate for the mother of both Benjamin and William.

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 30 October 11 20:48 GMT (UK) »
What Wilcoxon does not tell you is that she has been incredibly helpful and has found out a great deal of information about our family -including a descendant of Benjamin's brother William. Some of the family still live in Wrexham.
 Thank you very much. :)

In Birmingham St Phillip’s 1790 -Nancy Walton married William Cooper (It is possible that he was the son of Joseph and Anne Cooper , baptised in St Martin’s on 9th February 1754, but there are other baptisms in the 1760s that may be him).
The couple baptised four children - -Nancy 1791, Mary Ann 1792, Mary 1793, William 1794 and finally Benjamin Walton in 1797. (Family search mistranscribes the name as Worton.)
Benjamin married Elizabeth Willis again at St Martin's in 1818.
Her birth record gives her surname as Wills, the daughter of William and Eleanor Wills, she was born in 1797, but, unusually not baptised until 1804, again at St Martin’s, Birmingham.
(All the above from Familysearch)
The couple had a son; William Cooper who was born in Birmingham.
They then moved to York Street, Wrexham where Benjamin started a wine and sprits business, becoming bankrupt by 1825.
They had one other son -Benjamin born 1824. 
There is a record of the death of Elizabeth Cooper in 1829, aged 33, resident in the Beast Market. I t seems highly likely, given the age, that she was the mother of William and Benjamin.
By 1841 Benjamin junior was recorded as being aged 15 living in the Beast market with the Bevan family and working as a hawker, while William was a plasterer aged 20 and lodging in Lambpit Street, in the town.
By this time Benjamin senior was no longer living in the town, since he does not appear on the census record. Nor do we have a death record for him -He may have remarried and moved elsewhere after his wife died, he may have died outside the town's boundary, he may even have gone back to Birmingham.

It seems conclusive that the Benjamin I am looking for is the Benjamin born in York St in 1824 -since both William and, more significantly, Walton are used as family names for his sons and grandsons.
Possibly he was uncertain of his birth year since his mother had died. His birth month -August , fits with his records.

There are still unanswered questions, of course. -
Why did the family move to Wrexham?
What happened to Benjamin Walton Cooper?
Why weren't the brothers living together in 1841?
Why did one brother learn a trade while his younger brother became a hawker?

But it wouldn't be family history if answers didn't throw up more questions!  ::)

It would be interesting to know what other rootschatters think.
Have we solved the problem of the missing birth record of Benjamin Cooper born Wrexham, or not?
And does anyone have any suggestions about why the family moved to Wrexham and what became of Benjamin Walton?  :-\

Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 03 November 11 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Benjamin married Elizabeth Willis again at St Martin's in 1818.
Her birth record gives her surname as Wills, the daughter of William and Eleanor Wills, she was born in 1797, but, unusually not baptised until 1804, again at St Martin’s, Birmingham.
(All the above from Familysearch)

An update! Someone in the family has been checking on Ancestry and had found Elizabeth Wills belonged to another family entirely, never married and died aged 28, there was even a picture of her tombstone and you can't argue with carved granite!
Everything else seems to fit but we don't have a birth record for Elizabeth Willis any more.
It just goes to confirm the need to double check.
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex