Author Topic: Passenger Lists, Sailings from Poole or Christchurch, UK  (Read 3233 times)

Offline TimothBStard

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
**COMPLETED** Passenger Lists, Sailings from Poole or Christchurch, UK
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 August 11 21:11 BST (UK) »
....Over 30 Years!? .... Oh joy!

I have done some searching on F my P.  Nothing remotely definite.   There is a Mr, Mrs and Miss CHAMPION heading to the Cape in 1909... ......

***Thank you and goodnight***

**COMPLETED**
CHAMPION;  MORLEY;  HARWOOD London/Kent/Bromley;  JEFFRIES Warwickshire Regiment; PARKINS;  CAPON  Northants Regiment

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger Lists, Sailings from Poole or Christchurch, UK
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 August 11 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Are you aware that Anc**try are offering access to Immigration records; 29th August to 5th September?

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TimothBStard

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 August 11 21:47 BST (UK) »
They who shall not be named are doing that, are they??  No, I didn't know.... But I do now. Thank you Nan.    :)

CHAMPION;  MORLEY;  HARWOOD London/Kent/Bromley;  JEFFRIES Warwickshire Regiment; PARKINS;  CAPON  Northants Regiment

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 August 11 22:51 BST (UK) »
8)  I'll put this into context:

My gtgrandad William CHAMPION (b 1882, Horsham) was a brickie, who lived in Eltham 1901/2, Croydon 1903-1907/8.  At the end of 1908 or in 1909, he 'disappeared'.  The story is that he left (some say for South Africa) with another woman  :o

In any event, my gt grandmother, Amelia Jane, nee TYE, and her children (below) ended up in Horsham Workhouse in 1911.  At some point, the children went to a Catholic orphanage in Orpington.

The youngest child, Elsie, is shown in the 1911 Census as being born in Christchurch, (b reg JQ 1909).  At this time there were no known relatives in Christchurch.  Hence I am speculating that Amelia was in Christchurch for another reason.......

The children were:  William (1902, Eltham);  John (MQ1904, Croydon); Leslie (MQ1906, Croydon);  Lilian (JQ 1907, Croydon);  Elsie Emily (JQ 1909, Christchurch)

Thanks,

Timoth

Could that be the parish of Christ Church, Eltham? It is a Catholic Parish and you say the family went into the Catholic orphange at Orpington of which there were two.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TimothBStard

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 August 11 23:16 BST (UK) »

Could that be the parish of Christ Church, Eltham? It is a Catholic Parish and you say the family went into the Catholic orphange at Orpington of which there were two.

Hi Hackstaple -
Christchurch, Hants referenced as Birth registration district and as place of birth in 1911 census.  Eltham is where the family lodged circa 1901-1902.  I believe the missing William and Amelia were married at Holy Trinity in Eltham.

I believe the orphanage is one body comprising two single sex units: St. Anne's orphanage (girls) and St. Joseph's (boys)..... Is that correct?

Timoth

Offline Wonderhorseuk

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 September 13 19:53 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping this could lead to some information regarding the family line... 'Leslie' in this list was my paternal grandfather - Leslie Joseph Champion I believe :-)

Hoping you will be able to see this and get back to me :-)

Regards

Les (lie)

8)  I'll put this into context:

My gtgrandad William CHAMPION (b 1882, Horsham) was a brickie, who lived in Eltham 1901/2, Croydon 1903-1907/8.  At the end of 1908 or in 1909, he 'disappeared'.  The story is that he left (some say for South Africa) with another woman  :o

In any event, my gt grandmother, Amelia Jane, nee TYE, and her children (below) ended up in Horsham Workhouse in 1911.  At some point, the children went to a Catholic orphanage in Orpington.

The youngest child, Elsie, is shown in the 1911 Census as being born in Christchurch, (b reg JQ 1909).  At this time there were no known relatives in Christchurch.  Hence I am speculating that Amelia was in Christchurch for another reason.......

The children were:  William (1902, Eltham);  John (MQ1904, Croydon); Leslie (MQ1906, Croydon);  Lilian (JQ 1907, Croydon);  Elsie Emily (JQ 1909, Christchurch)

Thanks,

Timoth