Author Topic: 2 army uniforms  (Read 2838 times)

Offline Hanford

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 2 army uniforms
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 August 11 23:26 BST (UK) »
Ohh that's a better picture that you've posted, thanks  ;)
They both have that little wavey bit at the bottom...
Now I can hopefully find a medal card for him, thank you again  ;D

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 August 11 23:40 BST (UK) »
unsure of the ribbon on his tunic...He SHOULD have a 1915 Star as well as British War and Victory Medals if you have to rule some guys with same name and regiment out...also be aware he couldve served in other regiments prior to the one post 1918

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 August 11 23:48 BST (UK) »
hi,,do you know when and where Frank Mooney was born?  ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hanford

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 August 11 10:16 BST (UK) »
Morning  ;D

I had a look for a medal card, but there isn't one  :'(
Maybe he was in a different regiment before the picture was taken like you said  :-\

unsure of the ribbon on his tunic...He SHOULD have a 1915 Star as well as British War and Victory Medals if you have to rule some guys with same name and regiment out...also be aware he couldve served in other regiments prior to the one post 1918

Ady

Morning to you too  ;D

I do indeed, London in 1890 , he died in 1919 and was a serjant in The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, 15th bn , we aren't too sure if it's him in the picture though  :-\

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 August 11 10:33 BST (UK) »
I would suggest that the cap badge is that of the Royal Berkshire Regiment rather than that of the Buff's. If you look at the badge closely you will see the base is deeper than the one for the Buff's plus the fact that the dragon shown on the RB' cap badge has no wings where as the one for the Buff's has.

If it is the badge for the RB's as I suspect it is then, there are two MIC's for two soldier's by the name of Thomas Reynolds on the TNA site, the first for private Thomas  Reynolds 9721 and the second for private Thomas Reynolds 9367 & 7367.

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Hanford

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 August 11 10:55 BST (UK) »
I would suggest that the cap badge is that of the Royal Berkshire Regiment rather than that of the Buff's. If you look at the badge closely you will see the base is deeper than the one for the Buff's plus the fact that the dragon shown on the RB' cap badge has no wings where as the one for the Buff's has.

If it is the badge for the RB's as I suspect it is then, there are two MIC's for two soldier's by the name of Thomas Reynolds on the TNA site, the first for private Thomas  Reynolds 9721 and the second for private Thomas Reynolds 9367 & 7367.

OR.

You're right  ;D ;D
There's a Thomas W Reynolds in the Army Service Corps, Royal Berkshire Regiment, Labour Corps... My Thomas was Thomas Walter so that could be him?
Thank you  ;D ;D ;D

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 August 11 11:38 BST (UK) »
It may well be your Thomas Walter but I would add an air of caution in saying that is until you obtain a copy of his army record. However at least you have the addition of service numbers to add into your search to cross reference when looking for his records. You maybe lucky to find them on either Ancestry or FindMyPast.

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 August 11 12:32 BST (UK) »
OR
I agree with the differences you point out....good spot

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 August 11 13:58 BST (UK) »
hi,, was Thomas walter Reynolds born 1880 in Pimlico ,London?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk