Author Topic: WW2 Civilian War Dead. Thurgarton  (Read 5447 times)

Offline Joanne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
WW2 Civilian War Dead. Thurgarton
« on: Sunday 28 August 11 17:16 BST (UK) »
I've just come across 2 ancestors, mother and daughter who are listed on the war graves commission site as being civilian war casualties.  I've been searching the internet but can't seem to find anything at all about any bombs being dropped in Thurgarton, Norfolk.  Just wondering if anyone knew anything about this or knew of anywhere on the internet that has info please?  The details are below:

Name: WESTRUP, CHARLOTTE MAY
Initials: C M
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Civilian War Dead
Date of Death: 23/07/1942
Additional information: of Thurgarton Dairy, Church Square. Widow of Ernest Horace Samuel Westrup. Died at Thurgarton Dairy.
Casualty Type: Civilian War Dead
Reporting Authority: CROMER, URBAN DISTRICT

Name: WESTRUP, BEATRICE HELEN
Initials: B H
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Civilian War Dead
Date of Death: 23/07/1942
Additional information: of Thurgarton Dairy, Church Square. Daughter of Charlotte May and of the late Ernest Horace Samuel Westrup. Died at Thurgarton Dairy.
Casualty Type: Civilian War Dead
Reporting Authority: CROMER, URBAN DISTRICT

Many thanks in advance
Cousins (all variations) from Crowfield/Stonham Aspal/Elmsett/Pettaugh. Chapman from Worlingworth/Hornham/Dennington. Westrup from Bungay/Hales/Haddiscoe Sawyer from Woodbridge/Ipswich/Martlesham/Aldeburgh. Bruty from Clare

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Civilian War Dead. Thurgarton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 August 11 10:49 BST (UK) »

Hi Joanne,

I believe local councils were required to produce maps (during or shortly after the war) showing the extent of bomb damage - often these also show the dates and other details of the incident.  I don't think it likely that you'll find anything on the internet, but the local council, or the County Archive might be the best place to start.

Unless you know it was a bomb, it might also be worth confirming this first - the death certificate might give more details about how they died.

I'd also check for information in the local newspaper - there may be a report of an attack on the dairy, especially if civilian casualties were involved.

Nick

Offline Joanne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 August 11 12:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nick will get in touch with Norfolk record office. Just wondering what else you think it could be if not a bomb? Something abit more sinister maybe?
Cousins (all variations) from Crowfield/Stonham Aspal/Elmsett/Pettaugh. Chapman from Worlingworth/Hornham/Dennington. Westrup from Bungay/Hales/Haddiscoe Sawyer from Woodbridge/Ipswich/Martlesham/Aldeburgh. Bruty from Clare

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 August 11 12:40 BST (UK) »
Possible alternatives could include being shot by enemy aircraft, or being hit by debris.  I don't know anything about Thurgarton in particular... I just mentioned the possibility of other causes as researching the bombing records might be fruitless if the cause of death was something else.

Hope you get to the bottom of the story... it might also be worth writing to the local paper to see if anyone living in the area knows anything about it.

Nick

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 August 11 16:05 BST (UK) »

Just had a further thought - it looks possible that 'Thurgarton Dairy' is a shop in Cromer, not a place in Thurgarton village.

There are photos of a Thurgarton Dairy online, and a report of an attack (in 1943, not 42) on Church Street Cromer on the BBC "WW2 People's War" webpages.  Cromer would possibly be a more likely target for the Germans than a small village.

Nick

Offline Joanne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 August 11 16:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nick your a star  :D have a look at this link http://www.culturalmodes.norfolk.gov.uk/projects/nmaspub5.asp?page=item&itemId=CRRMU%20:%201981.80.369 at the bottom it says Thurgartin Dairy was bombed in 1942!

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 August 11 22:26 BST (UK) »

No problem - all part of the fun of family history research  :)

Actually, its turned out to be interesting for me, as the notes for the photo also give the name SPANTON which is one of the Norfolk names I'm researching - I'm not sure if 'Mr Spanton' was there in 1942 or in 1966, but I'm going to do some further research.

I dug out my copy of Kellys Directory for 1937 this evening.  Mr Ernest Horace Westrup is listed in Cromer as a dairyman living Church Square (telephone number 13!) - so that nicely confirms what we thought.

Did you check the other CWGC records for civilians in Cromer?  There are 16 in total, 12 died on 22 or 23 July 1942, it must have been a pretty terrible couple of days.  A Thomas DOUGHTY seems to be the only other person who died at the dairy, but no record for Mr Spanton.

Nick

Offline Joanne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick, thanks for that very interesting to know the Westrup family were at the Dairy in 1937. I've been in touch with the Cromer museum who directed me to some photos on the same site of the bomb damage, fascinating but also very sad at the same time.  Planning on a trip to Cromer graveyard soon to see if I can find their graves.  Have you had any luck with Mr. Spanton?

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 23:08 BST (UK) »

It looks like it is a council cemetery, so if you haven't already checked, it might be worth contacting them for details before you visit - I think the Cromer cemetery is very large!

I've not started looking for Mr Spanton, been too busy today, enjoying the sunshine for a change!!  I'll let you know what I find.

Nick