Author Topic: WW2 Civilian War Dead. Thurgarton  (Read 5448 times)

Offline Joanne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Civilian War Dead. Thurgarton
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 16:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nick have just emailed Cromer Town Council so will see if they can help.  Glad you said as was just going to turn up but looking at the photos online it does look like a massive cemetery doesn't it! I've only ever been to the small Suffolk village sort before and always find it quite exciting hunting through the headstones  :) Cromer however would take me forever and that's if they are even there!
Cousins (all variations) from Crowfield/Stonham Aspal/Elmsett/Pettaugh. Chapman from Worlingworth/Hornham/Dennington. Westrup from Bungay/Hales/Haddiscoe Sawyer from Woodbridge/Ipswich/Martlesham/Aldeburgh. Bruty from Clare

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 18:26 BST (UK) »

I once spent a day wandering round a huge civic cemetery in South Shields, Durham and just as I got to the far end (away from the car) a thunderstorm broke overhead... at that moment I wondered whether family history was so much fun after all!  ;)  Makes you appreciate Norfolk and Suffolk village churches that much more.

I think I might have made some progress on 'Mr Spanton' - I'll send you a PM later as the details are about someone who is probably still alive.

Nick

Offline berkeley

• RootsChat Senior
  • HMS Berkeley-Dieppe-Aug-19-1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 October 12 18:08 BST (UK) »
hi joanne, not sure how far you have got with your search for the westrups, but if you google Charlotte May Woodhouse Westrup it will come up with findagrave, this will take you to a picture of the family gravestone, plus details. I think the grave is on the Holt road cemetry,hope this helps, Dave.

Offline mccampling

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi My name is Val Mccampling before I got married my name was Westrup and I my Grandma ran the Thurgarton Dairy in the war time. Her sisters were killed they are buried in the Cemetery. I  be happy for you to contact me if you like a picture it would be nice.