Author Topic: Missing a death in Horley 1885 +/-5  (Read 2326 times)

Offline iconstab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Missing a death in Horley 1885 +/-5
« on: Sunday 28 August 11 18:01 BST (UK) »
I have one of those irritating minor gaps in the family data.
My gg-grandmother appears not to have died, officially.
Nee Amelia Jenner in about 1837, married John Constable 1856
He and she (and eventually their children) are in the censuses 1841(Worth and Horne), 1851 (Croydon and Horne),1861 (Outwood), 1871 (Burstow), 1881 (Horley, Fern Hill).
John is a widower, lodging in Horley, in 1891; in the East Grinstead Union Workhouse 1901, and dies there in 1909
So Amelia Constable nee Jenner died between 1881 and 1891, almost certainly in Horley or nearby, as in 1881 she still had 6 children and a grandchild at home (ages 16,11,9,6,4,2 and 3).
Her given age in censuses was: 4 (1841), 10, 25, 34, 46 (1881); her age at death between 1881 and 1891 could be mid 40s to mid 50s
Her death/burial does not appear in searches on findmypast, on freeBMD, on FamilySearch

Any help gratefully received!

Ian

CONSTABLE, ILLMAN (Ssx, Sry);
TUTTE, CLARKE, KNIGHT (Hants);
ADSHEAD, BEGEN (Lon);
HONEYCOMBE, WALTERS (Sry/Lon)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing a death in Horley 1885 +/-5
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 August 11 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Where and when did her husband John die? What were the details recorded on his death certificate?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GeoffP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Irish Grandmother Julia Sexton(Moxham)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 August 11 19:05 BST (UK) »
Valda, I think that John died in the East Grinstead Workhouse in 1909. Ian seems to be offline.
Regards
Geoff
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Peirce/Pierce/Pearce: Hungerford,Berks/Burbage Wilts.              
   Moxham: Monkton Farleigh, Wilts
   Sexton:Cork,Ireland, New York

Offline iconstab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 August 11 19:09 BST (UK) »
Yes, details as in original message. John's death due to senility though not sure of the relevance.  It's Amelia I want to track down!

Ian

CONSTABLE, ILLMAN (Ssx, Sry);
TUTTE, CLARKE, KNIGHT (Hants);
ADSHEAD, BEGEN (Lon);
HONEYCOMBE, WALTERS (Sry/Lon)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 August 11 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

Failed to read the first post sufficiently well concerning the information John was lodging in Horley in 1891. I didn't spot him when I searched as there was an 'age adjustment' on the 1891 census.

Presuming Amelia didn't walk out and leave him, FreeBMD and Findmypast are using the same source (as is Ancestry which for this period uses the FreeBMD transcriptions)  - the GRO index. Family Search still remains much weaker on burials and increasingly weaker the later you get into the second half of the C19th.

West Surrey Family History Society's burial indexes don't cover the period.

The GRO death indexes for this period are typed.

'To index all the BMDs in England and Wales from 1837 onwards was a massive clerical undertaking and all done by hand. Inevitably, errors crept into the system. There were no checks when the ledgers were first handwritten, or when as some of them began to fall apart over the years, when typed copies were made and the old ledgers thrown away.'

Reigate still remains the local register office so you can ask if they will search for the death (you have to hope she wasn't visiting).

http://maps.direct.gov.uk/LDGRedirect/MapAction.do?ref=grolight

Or if you can't search Horley burial registers at the Surrey History Centre for yourself, you can check to see whether you can order them on microfilm at your local Family History Centre (see the burial guide at the top of the Surrey Rootschat boards for details). They might only be on microfilm up to 1875 though looking at Surrey History Centre parish registers catalogue.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0bdy/

Reigate local register office look the best bet because they will cover deaths in the surrounding area of Horley as well, but tell them you are hoping the death occurred in the civil registration subdistrict of Horley and that it cannot be found on the GRO index.

If the death doesn't show in Reigate local register office indexes then at least the Reigate area is eliminated.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iconstab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 August 11 19:45 BST (UK) »
Velda

Many thanks

I will follow up on your advice

Ian