Author Topic: Ann SYMES  (Read 1630 times)

Offline jaypear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann SYMES
« on: Sunday 28 August 11 18:28 BST (UK) »
I am currently researching the above lady.  I have tracked down her marriage to William Brooks on 17th April 1813 in High Littleton and it states on that record that they were both of this parish, however I cannot find a record of her birth in High Littleton.  IGI has not been of any use and I wondered whether anybody has any ideas.  The details I already have I accessed directly from the computer, I believe it is part of an ongoing project and without it I would not have been able to get very far.  I am most grateful. 

Jenny

Offline dragongirl

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: ann symes
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 August 11 19:25 BST (UK) »

Hi Jaypear
   Found her on 1851 Census with William Brooks and  4 sons and two daughters all born in High Littleton which comes under Clutton cannot find a birth for her in the area
 i`ll search births again a few Ann Symes born in Somerset
but none in Clutton

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 August 11 20:31 BST (UK) »

Hi Jaypear
   Found her on 1851 Census with William Brooks and  4 sons and two daughters all born in High Littleton which comes under Clutton cannot find a birth for her in the area
 i`ll search births again a few Ann Symes born in Somerset
but none in Clutton
i do not think that is them
according to jaypear they were married in 1813
the couple you have in 1851. william was born 1817(possibly the son of jaypears william/ann)
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 August 11 20:33 BST (UK) »
just because on the marriage she states of this parish does not neccesarily mean she was born in this parish
it merely means that was her abode at the time of the marriage
she could have been born anywhere
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 August 11 20:40 BST (UK) »
there are only 4 william brooks in high littleton in 1841 one is aged 48 living with an elizabeth brookes aged 49
the other is a william brooks aged 85 living with an ann brooks aged 56(possibly his wife but more likely to be his daughter
the other 2 were both aged 25 (one of these is very probably the william that dragongirl has in 1851)
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline jaypear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 August 11 23:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the interest.  According to the details I found on the High Littleton Parish registers William and Ann had 5 children.  Maria, James, Jesse, Abel and Hannah.  James and Jesse moved to the Midlands where they worked as miners.  James married a local girl but Jesse married a girl from Somerset although they didn't get married until they moved to the Midlands.  I did find one Symes on these registers. A Thomas Symes who was living in High Littleton who married a Mary Ashman in Paulton, in 1762,  however these would seem more likely to be grandparents.  I wonder whether Ann Symes was born in Paulton ?

Jenny

Offline jaypear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 August 11 23:35 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered an Ann Brooks on the 1851 census living in High Littleton with a Grace Ashman.  The place of birth for Ann Brooks is given as Paulton.  The age is about right as I have the date of birth for Ann (Symes) as 1789 (not sure where I got that) and her death 1855.  Presumably Grace Ashman is a relative of Mary Ashman who married Thomas Symes.  It's all getting a bit complicated.

Jenny

Offline Sarnia25

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Ann SYMES
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 May 22 09:33 BST (UK) »
Ann syms married William brooks 1813 William was born 1756 it was William second marriage they had 5 children Ann was 34 years younger than William . William died 1846. I have lots of info on the brooks