Author Topic: Cecil LOWTHER  (Read 2849 times)

Offline colwickite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cecil LOWTHER
« on: Monday 29 August 11 08:01 BST (UK) »
NEED HELP! I have tried to find my dad whom I have never set eyes on much less met. My research found he had remarried a lady by the name of Bertha Steadman after divorcing my mother. They lived in the Spen Valley district of Yorks., and don't appear to have had any more chilldren. She died in her early 50's and dad died in 1999. I can find out nothing else, not even where he lived. I am almost 72 and am running out of time. I sent a letter to the Spen Valley press asking for help and although the letter was printed I believe, it yielded nothing. I'd kill just to have a photo of him.....

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CECIL LOWTHER
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 August 11 08:54 BST (UK) »
Do you know if Cecil had brothers and sisters maybe you could try contacting them.they may have photos
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 August 11 09:01 BST (UK) »
His birthday at death suggests this birth 11 May 1910

Jun qu 1910 Auckland 10a 297
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 August 11 09:09 BST (UK) »
Have you got his death cert as this may reveal his last address and the informant may be a family member.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline colwickite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 August 11 09:12 BST (UK) »
Bloody hell, you lot have found out more in minutes than I have found out in years!!! THANK YOU ISOBEL,THANK YOU SUFFOLK SUE (HE WAS IN THE SUFFOLK REGIMENT) THANK YOU SO MUCH!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 August 11 09:24 BST (UK) »
"IF" he is the one born in Co. Durham, then his grandparents were William Foster Lowther, born c1859 in Copley Lane and Margaret born c1863 in Evenwood. Sorry can't help with Cecils parents.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 August 11 10:07 BST (UK) »
1901 census
This seems to be all the children

William Lowther 42 grocer and drapers assistant b Lynesack and Softley
Margaret 38 wife b Everwood Durham
Hilda Mary 15 dau b same as father
Charles 13 son b ditto
Eleanor 11 dau b ditto
William 9 son b ditto
Millicent 6 dau b ditto
Margaret 4 dau b ditto
Muriel 1 dau b ditto
Pinfold Lane,Lynesack and Softley reg district Auckland

Hilda married 1907 so she isnt Cecils mother so could be Eleanor or Millicent.I think you need his birth certificate for this one.

Offline colwickite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 August 11 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,
             nice to hear from you and a million thanks for that info. I have dad's birth cert and his mum definitely is Eleanor Lowther of Copley House Butterknowle. She did not accept I was her grandchild but dad paid every single penny of the ten bob a week maintenance for 16 years.  Even as a very small child I thought the only reason mam kept me was for that money. She was vicious. Now I hope to find some distant relatives.

Joy 

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 September 11 17:27 BST (UK) »

Hi,

A possible marriage for Eleanor,

Eleanor LOWTHER    Dec Q 1912    Auckland    10a  467
John T A LIDDLE

their deaths,

John T A LIDDLE    Dec Q 1956    Lothingland    4b  836

Eleanor LIDDLE    Mar Q 1970    Bury St Edmunds    4b  3406   
Birth Date: 10 Jan 1890

There are some LIDDLE/LOWTHER births between 1914 and 1921 in South Shields Durham. I haven't looked any further with them yet and we are not allowed to post details of living people here. Have a look on FreeBMD and you will find them.

Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)