Author Topic: George Bewick of Durham  (Read 2008 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
George Bewick of Durham
« on: Tuesday 30 August 11 07:59 BST (UK) »
Seeking help about George Bewick.

Born about 1740 in Durham, just where I am not sure.

Married 17 Nov 1764 Chester le Street Durham As per Family Search Disc#138  Pin#1743125

Between 1767 and 1773 he was listed as a farmer on the christening records of first 5 children and as a waggoner 1778 to 1781

According to A**** he died 1797 at Leefeild Durham.

Any information about his birth and/or parents would be very gratefully received.

A Chesters

In Australia

Offline The Mc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Bewick of Durham
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 10:15 BST (UK) »
The only record I can find on Familysearch.org is this one.......

Geo. Bewick
Baptised 19 January 1746
Gateshead, County Durham
Father George Bewick

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 September 11 08:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. At this stage it would look as though I have hit the proverbial brick wall but will continue searching

A Chesters

Offline Racing Girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 September 11 18:31 BST (UK) »
Where were the children baptised?  Any clues there?

Brenda
Durham/NBL - Cummin(g)s, Stokoe, Burdess, Embleton, Stirrup, Bewick, Doney, Lumsdon, Laws, Bloomfield, Hunter, Henderson, Mosman
Lancashire - Stirrup, Molyneux, Rudd, Golding
Cambs - Palmer, Butler, Levitt, Golding, Skeel,  Howard, Hancock, Bowers, Norton, Colman, Peachey, Crane
Surrey - Palmer
Berks - Cruttwell, Bunce, Batten
IOW - Roach, Robinson
Cornwall - Doney, Gumb, Goyne
S Wales - Thomas, Dickinson (via Cumbria)
Coastguard Families: Clark, Fuller, Grant

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 04:55 BST (UK) »
Brenda,

All the children of George (2nd) were baptised at Chester le Street in Durham

Unfortunately, the F*** S*** only goes back as far as 1765 with the bishops transcripts, so I can not follow them further back. Bother!!

If you have any idea on other records I could look at, I would be very gratefull.

A Chesters

Offline Racing Girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 17:49 BST (UK) »
I wish I knew where else to look!  Not sure if you noticed my list of names in my signature but I'm also looking for this name, which is why I was interested in your query.

My first concrete info on my lot is a marriage at South Shields, St Hildas between William Bewick and Elizabeth Ainsley on 25 DEC 1796.  They have a number of children baptised at this church between 1797 and 1812, they seem to live in South Bishopwearmouth.  On some of the baptism records William is listed of Bruton which is in the parish of Bamburgh, but I've searched those records with no trace of Bewicks in any form.  I looked at marriage, death and birth records for a 20 yr period around 1775ish, the name just isn't in those records.

Perhaps we're banging our heads on the same brick wall?

Regards,
Brenda
Durham/NBL - Cummin(g)s, Stokoe, Burdess, Embleton, Stirrup, Bewick, Doney, Lumsdon, Laws, Bloomfield, Hunter, Henderson, Mosman
Cambs - Palmer, Butler, Levitt, Golding, Skeel,  Howard, Hancock, Bowers, Norton, Colman, Peachey, Crane
Surrey - Palmer
IOW - Roach, Robinson

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 19:29 BST (UK) »
if this is him from the Durham records online it gives a hint as to birth date:

Burials, Chester-le-Street District - Record Number: 365458.2
Church: St. Mary and St. Cuthbert
Denomination: Anglican
1833 George Bewick, age: 99  (b. 1734)

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 September 11 02:17 BST (UK) »
Diddy,

Thanks for that information. It could well be him, as the Bewicks I have good information on seem to be a long lived mob. The reason I put his birth about 1740 was based on his marriage, and subtracting 24 to make him 24 at the time of his marriage. This is due to the desendants marrying in their mid 20's, including yours truly.

Brenda,

I am sorry I did not see that in your signature, it would have made me look more closely.
It is quite possible that your William is the same William I have as 3rd son, 4th child to the George I am tracing. Georges wife is Eleanor Jopling, and I have been able to follow her a few generations back. He was born in 1770, and baptised 25 Aug 1770 at Chester le Street. As he is not a direct ancestor, I did not follow him, so am offering this as a possibility.

As you say, we might be on the same brick wall. Ouch!

Regards A Chesters

Offline Racing Girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 October 11 16:47 BST (UK) »
Definite possibility I suppose, South Shields isn't that far from Chester le Street, and I can only guess at my Williams birth being around 1782.  I looked on G***s R******d for a William Bewick from Chester le Street and have found 8 matches, so I've emailed a couple of them to see if they have any other info about him.  I'll let you know if I get any further info.  Happy searching in the meantime!

Brenda
Surrey - Palmer
IOW - Roach, Robinson