Author Topic: Help with Emily  (Read 2610 times)

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help with Emily
« on: Tuesday 30 August 11 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

I need a bit of help with Emily Turnell b. 1844

I have her marrying Charles Smart Ravenor in 1862. Her father is listed as Edward Turnell, paper hanger.  One of the witnesses is Charles Edward Turnell who I believe to be her brother.

I think the father is Edward Baker Turnell who married Sarah Faithorn in 1824.

Sarah appears to be with children in 1841 - no sign of Edward Baker Turnell
Sarah/Sarah Esther  b.1827
Jane/Jane Sophee b. 1833
Sophia/Sophee Emily b. 1835
Charles/Charles Edward b. 1837

Emily isnt born til 1844 which made me question if it is the same family, but I also found Emily Turnell as a witness to the marriage of Sophee Emily Turnell and William Alexander Boon in 1859.

My big problem is that I cant find Emily with or without mother Sarah on either the 1851 or 1861 census.  In fact I cant find Sarah again until 1871 when she appears with Emily S Ravenor/Rawenor in 1871, as mother.  Emily is shown as a widow. I also can find no trace of a death or re-marriage for her.

ec

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Emily
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 12:23 BST (UK) »
Where would all of this have taken place?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 12:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry - all St Pancras/Islington/Camden except Emily/Charles Smart Ravenor is Hackney - Grays Inn Road

Thanks

ec

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is a Sarah Turnell buried at St Pancras Cemetery on 2nd January 1894.

Deaths Dec 1893 
Turnell  Sarah  94  Pancras  1b 94

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda

Thankyou, Yes - I think that is possibly her, which makes her all the more elusive!  There is a possiblity for her in the 1881, but shown as born Isle of Wight which doesnt tie in with the 1871 entry which says born Battersea.  Occupation is the same though - boot binder.  No sign of Emily though.  I cant find any trace in 1891.  The burial record says she was in the workhouse when she died.

This is a really problematic bit of my tree   :(

ec

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 13:38 BST (UK) »
Have you investigated the Kings (Charles and Jane) who married in 1852, she gave her address as Caledonia Road, could be a clue where they were living in 1841.

I would be suspecting that Edward is still alive at this date, not just because the marriage cert doesn't say "deceased", but because Charles King is also a paper hanger, and perhaps they worked together.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi MaryA

Thanks for that - a possiblity I think - I will try and find Caledonia Road on the 1851. 

I did notice the paper hanging was common with Janes father, however I have not been able to track them down either as a couple after their marriage or Charles King previous to marriage in 1851 either!!

I tend to agree that Edward was probably still alive, but where he is is a mystery!

ec

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 14:53 BST (UK) »
I have a sneaking suspicion that they were living over the brush in 1851, shortly before they married.  ??? ;D
Smith Street, Camden Town. HO107; Piece:  1497; Folio:  547; Page:  61
He's a 24 year old Decorator from Tollington and she's 20 from St Pancras.

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 15:12 BST (UK) »
Brilliant MaryA

I think you are right - shame they couldnt be living next door to some parents!!

At least thats one tracked down - thank you

ec