Author Topic: Robert Taylor of Imber (Ember) Court Thames Ditton  (Read 4525 times)

Offline ThamesDitton

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Taylor of Imber (Ember) Court Thames Ditton
« on: Tuesday 30 August 11 14:19 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me find a reference to enable me to apply for a copy of the Will of Robert Taylor, Esq. of Imber Court, Thames Ditton died Thames Ditton 18  August 1823, born 1752 (but I don't know where) please?  Wife Margaret Ann nee Sleigh married abt 6 June 1789 Hanworth, Middx.  Offspring Robert, Simon, Jean Ann.

Sir Charles Sullivan, Robert Taylor, Simon Taylor, trustees and executors of the will of Robert Taylor feature in an indenture enrolled in Jamaica Aug 15, 1827 ("Manuscript sources for the history of the West Indies:
with special reference to Jamaica in the National Library of Jamaica and supplementary sources in the West Indies, North America, and United Kingdom and elsewhere"  Kenneth E. Ingram University of the West Indies Press, 2000 )

Many thanks.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Taylor of Imber (Ember) Court Thames Ditton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You might find some information  here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/wills.asp

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThamesDitton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 14:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  I'd already tried that, but no hits on Robert Taylor of Thames Ditton; but bolstered by your message, I tried more widely and have now narrowed it down to two Robert Taylors of Harley Street.  A plaque in our Church gives 'Simon Taylor of Harley Street' as the son of the Robert I'm looking for.  Simon died August the 9th 1828, aged 28.  Elder son Robert presumably made a will after his father died.

So I've just paid for & downloaded the pair of them (I really must stop doing this, it's addictive)  and one of them seems to be the Robert d. 1823 I'm looking for.  Although I now have to wade through reams of handwritten legalese...

Offline ThamesDitton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hmnnn.  Next question: where might I find the marriage settlement between Sir Charles Sullivan and Jean Ann Taylor (Robert's daughter)?  They married on 21 November 1818.  I have tried searching (web and NA)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

No experience of marriage settlements but I would try the archives/record office for Surrey, if they married in that county.  If it is not in their records they might be able to suggest where to search.

If they married in London you could try the LMA, Guildhall, SOG or more localised archives/record offices.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk