Author Topic: Anne Kennish born somewhere on the Isle of Man, but where? COMPLETED  (Read 8371 times)

Offline sjdavid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anne Kennish born somewhere on the Isle of Man, but where? COMPLETED
« on: Tuesday 30 August 11 15:04 BST (UK) »
Anne Kennish c1834 birth place is the Isle of Man. She married William Bradley from Cartmel, Lancashire on the 12th May 1857 in Liverpool. Anne's father was William Kennish who's occupation was a farmer.

On the 1891 census my great grandmother Annie Bradley was recorded as a niece living with Joseph Kennish from the Isle of Man, he was a publican in Soho Street, Liverpool.

It is evident from my research that Anne originated from the Isle of Man and that's the easy bit, but trying to find a birth record or further details is the hard bit.

I have an uncle a direct descendant of Anne Kennish who's forenames were Douglas Bradley ...... could this be a clue to Anne's birth place?

I would appreciate any help in trying to locate Anne's birth details.

regards

Steve

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Anne Kennish born somewhere on the Isle of Man, but where?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 15:33 BST (UK) »
did you try IGI + census indices at www.iomfhs.im
however the likely Ann is d/o Wm Kennish + Margt Kissack - bapt Maughold 1835-04-02 - Wm was a 70yr old farmer in 1841 at Corrany - Wm was I think buried Maughold 18480613 - the reg gives no age (didn't until 1849 when law changed) - no civil birth records until 1877/8;
in 1851 a dress maker with widowed mother in Maughold st Ramsey - a visitor was english born Sarah Stevenson
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline sjdavid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Frances, thank you for you quick response and the information that you have found. I had come across some information previously that I had not dismissed, but could not confirm it as true. I had been given access to someones family tree and they had Anne Kennish (parents were William Kennish and Margaret Kissack) married to a Henry Ward. Unfortunately the source had no genealogical evidence to back this up. It was claimed that the marriage was sourced from 'The history of Kirk Maugold and the IOM family History Library.

According to the marriage certificate for Anne and William Bradley she was recorded as a spinster and this throws in to doubt the marriage to Henry Ward. Anne would have been 17yrs old at the time of her marriage to William Bradley.

regards

Steve

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 18:22 BST (UK) »
the ref to History is to well researched book by wm + constance radcliffe"History of Kirk Maughold" pub 1979  - re kennish's of corrony see p289 et seq - see www.manxnotebook.com/iomnhas/v062p181.htm re the famous wm
I have no record of the marriage of ann
Mother Margt is a washerwoman in King St Ramsey in 1861

Offline sjdavid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 09:41 BST (UK) »
On following the Margaret Kennish (nee Kissack) I found her on the 1871 census. She was living with her daughter Ann Elizabeth Ward and son in law Henry Ward. Unfortunately this confirmed that the information that I had been given appears to be true and throws into doubt Anne Kennish being my decendant.

What I'll need to find out if there is a birth record for Ann Elizabeth Kennish. The date given for Ann Kennish 04/02/1835 was the date I have been given for Ann Elizabeth.

regards

Steve

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 09:54 BST (UK) »
the other ann born to a Wm + Mary Brew was bapt Santan 18330512 - wm was a shoemaker however - in 1841 on an intack - in 1851 at what looks like readhb? possibly Rheiden - havn't checked any further tho - Ann wasn't at home in 51
however by 1861 Wm was now a farmer of 40ac at Ballavartin - thus suspect this may be a match - wm born malew c. 1806 Mary Brew born Santan c. 1804

there is also a son Joseph age 15 in 1861 is this the Joseph in LIverpool ?
Wm is I think s/o Daniel Kinnish + Isabella Moore - in in 1841 Daniel was a widowed miller near St Marks which is a boundary district between Santon and Malew - I think Wm was bapt San 18050602 but possibly considered born in Malew?
Mary was I think d/o Wm Brew + Mary Quirk - bapt San 18031221 - there is an 1833 will of mother (summarised on my site) - they farmedat  ballagick

as I pointed out there are NO birth records for this period only BAPTISMAL records

Offline sjdavid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 21:48 BST (UK) »
you refer to a will on your site, please could you let me know the details of this site

regards

Steve

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 21:51 BST (UK) »

Offline sjdavid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 September 11 21:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the time and effort you have given me, it has opened up a new areas of research for me.

regards

Steve ( Devon, UK )