Author Topic: The Doole's of Derry  (Read 11727 times)

Offline MADoole

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Doole's of Derry
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello ! I am beginning a search on my 2GGF John H. Doole, born March 1, 1839 in Derry County.  He left Ireland at a young age and settled near Quincy, Illinois, USA around 1856. A historical account of him was listed in an 1879 booklet that read as follows:
"DOOLE, JOHN H., farmer; Sec. 12:P.O.Kellerville; was born in Derry county, Ireland, in 1839; came to Adams county in 1856, May 10 and worked as a farm hand for 18 years. Was married in 1871 to Mary Ann McConnel. She was born in Ireland..... Moved to McKee township in 1875 and located on sec. 12, of which there is 170 acres of land, undivided, owned by him and his brother George."
Family folklore says that he came to America alone at the age of 17, from Derry, Ireland.
Not sure if his brother George was an immigrant at the same time. In the same historical account, George is listed above, but his name is spelled "Dole".
1880 Illinois USA census lists both brothers and their wives with the surname spelled "Dole"
John Doole served in the 78th Illinois volunteer Infantry in the Civil War.
His military papers all have him listed as John "Dool"
(however, my family, his descendants have always been spelled Doole.)
We have always been told that his name was John Hunter Doole, however all documents, including his probated will, have him listed as John H. Doole
Key clues for me are:
John H. Doole, born 3-1-1839 in Derry, Ireland
Brother George
Came to Adams County, Illinois USA in 1856
Would love to know more about my Irish family as my DNA says that I am nearly 1/2 Irish.
Anyone know the Dooles of Derry County that may have had a son named John Hunter in 1839?

Offline purrl123

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Doole's of Derry
« Reply #28 on: Monday 25 October 21 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I'm searching for info on the Samuel Porter mentioned in this tree and I wonder if any of the posters on this thread found any further info on him? I do not know for sure if this is my Samuel Porter but this is what I do know from my late grandfather:

A Robert Porter (b. c. 1852) was from a farming family around Moneymore. As an adult he moved to Belfast for work.
Robert's marriage cert shows his father as Samuel Porter.
Robert's mother's name was Mary Ann (d. 1894 in Belfast), and her death cert shows her as widow of Samuel Porter.
I can't source a birth cert for Robert, a death cert for Samuel or any other children for Samuel and Mary, but Mary Doole would fit and considering they were both widowed might suggest there was time for only 1 child (Robert) born abt. 1852 and therefore the year of their marriage.

Bit of a stretch I know, but if anyone has further leads they'd be gratefully received.

Many thanks,
CP