Author Topic: Alfred Meech St Helier, Jersey  (Read 3788 times)

Offline Bvc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Alfred Meech St Helier, Jersey
« on: Tuesday 30 August 11 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am trying to find Alfred Meech who was born in St Helier in 1854, his mother died the following year and in 1861 census he is shown as living with his grandmother Ann Meech and his older sister Sarah Ann who was born in Dorset in 1850. After this the family seems to disappear, I na'nt find Alfred anywhere and Sarah doesn't reappear until her marriage in Melcombe Regis Dorset in 1876. There seems to be a connection between the Meech family of Burton Bradstock and Jedrsey but I have not yet discovered what it is. Is anyone researching this family or has anyone come across Alfred anywhere? Thanks.

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Meech St Helier, Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 November 11 22:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm having a root through the records to see what I can find for you.  You may well indeed have all of this information already, but just in case not here goes (sometimes tid-bits can be of help)

I've not been able to find Alfred Meech at all after the 1861 Census when he's living in Jersey with his Grandmother Anna (Hannah) Meech and his sister Sarah Ann.

*I wonder when Anna (Hannah) Meech moved over from Dorset to Jersey?  I've not been able to find her on the 1841 or 1851 Censuses.

I thought I'd then look further back and around for you.

The marriage of Samuel Meech and Hannah Wakely (or Makely) Hine takes place on 13/6/1824 in Burton Bradstock Dorset

I  found the Baptism of William Hine Meech on 10/7/1825 in Burton Bradstock Dorset, son of Samuel and Hannah Meech.  Samuel Meech an Ag Labourer.

There was a sister Baptised on 23/9/1827 in Burton Bradstock Dorset, named Martha Meech, daughter of Samuel and Hannah Meech.

I have not managed to trace Samuel or wife Hannah on the 1841 Census.

I found a burial record for a Samuel Meech on 14/4/1844 in Burton Bradstock.  Year of birth 1796 aged 48.

Moving on to the children of William Hine Meech.

I found the Baptism of Sarah Ann Meech on 23/6/1850 in the Parish of Melcombe Regis, Weymouth Dorset, parents William and Mary Meech.  Father a Wheelwright.

There was also the Baptism of Sarah's twin brother Alfred Meech 23/6/1850 (same parents and details).

He must have died not long after his baptism, as his death record appears on Free BMD in Q3 1850 Weymouth Dorset.

I wondered at first if it was William Meech on the 1851 Census in Portsmouth Hampshire, he is listed as being 36 and born in 1815 Bridport Dorset  His occupation is given as  Smith HM Dockyards and his status as married, but this William appears on the 1861 Census also with his wife Jane and two daughters.  He is a smith at the time of this Census also.

So no sighting of William anywhere on the 1851 Census, or the 1861 Census or beyond.

PS  I've just found your other rootschat postings stating that Alfred may have changed his name from Meech to Williams.

There is an Alfred Williams on the 1911 Census, he is single, was born in Jersey and is living in Southampton Hamsphire.  Date of birth 1856 (two years out), but you never know.

Links to other rootschat posts to help collate information

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,552406.0.html

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,552404.0.html

Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline Bvc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 November 11 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Thank-you for the trouble you have taken with this reply. I have a lot of the information that you have unearthed but I did not know about the earlier family and dates. I shall follow these up.
I have now confirmed that Alfred Meech did in fact change his name to Williams and have followed him up too.
I notice from your post that you have Legg as one of your family interests. I do not know much about the Legg family except that Elizabeth Abrahams who was my great grandmother married George Legg after the death of her husband Thomas Mogg. This was in the early 1840's. Is there any connection with your Legg interests here? All three families, Meech, Legg and Mogg can be seen living close to each other in the 1841 census for Melcombe Regis. Elizabeth's son George Mogg married his cousin Sarah Meech but I haven't followed up the children from Elizabeth's second marriage.
Thanks again for the response.BVC

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 November 11 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Try Jerripedia
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)