Author Topic: Thomas Scott , Newcastle.  (Read 5692 times)

Offline scott-matheson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Scott , Newcastle.
« on: Tuesday 30 August 11 18:08 BST (UK) »

Hello there,

I am needing some help or advice on how to trace my great grandfather x 3 his name was Thomas Scott and that's almost all I know about him. Thomas's son James Scott was a cordwainer and lived at 12 Tyne Sreet , Millers Hill , Newcastle. from before 1841 until his death in 1897and I have also found in a 1827 directory a Thomas Scott, boot and shoe maker, bookbinder working from Tyne Street this would seem to fit as at least three of Thomas's sons were cordwainers. I know that Thomas Scott married Grace Halliday in 1789 at St John's, Newcastle and that Grace was born in1765 and christened at St Andrew's I also know that she died in 1817 and was buried at St John's in the same grave as her sister and brother in law Jane and William Fail. Another thing I can't explain is that some of Thomas and Grace's children (and there were a few) were born in Gateshead but christened in Newcastle mostly at St Nicholas's and All Saints. And that's all I have found out about Thomas Scott I must be doing something wrong as I have found Grace Halliday's birth place , parents (John Halliday, Grace Turnbull) and burial. I would greatly appreciate any help or advice that those who know how can give me.

Jeff. ???   

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Scott , Newcastle.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat.

The baptisms of some of his children at Newcastle St.Nicholas.

Grace Scott, born Aug 31st 1798, baptized Oct 1st 1798, 1st daughter of Thomas Scott, Sugar Baker, Now in the 2nd Batallion of the Northumberland Militia, son of George Scott, Native of Middleham Yorkshire, by his wife Grace Haliday, daughter of  John Haliday, native of St.John in this town.

Jane Scott of Flesh Market, born June 1st 1806, baptized Oct 26th 1806, 4th daughter of Thomas Scott, Labourer, Native of Middleham Yorkshire, by his wife Grace, daughter of  John Halliday, native of St.Johns, Newcastle.

James Scott of Gateshead, born Jan 9 1809, baptized 5 Feb 1809, 6th son of Thomas Scott, Sugar Baker, Native of Middleham Yorkshire, by his wife Grace, daur of  John Haliday, Bricklayer in this town.

The Bishops Transcripts of Newcastle St.Nicholas and Newcastle All Saints parish registers are viewable on line at Familysearch.org under Diocese of Durham, Bishops Transcripts.  Newcastle St. Nicholas is listed under County Durham, then Newcastle, for some unknown reason.

Alan

Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 02:01 BST (UK) »
I usually pays to look at all the children especially if their baptisms are during the Barrington years.  You never know what information might come from one of them that is not in the child you descend from.  From the daughter Grace you see Thomas Scott's father was named George. 

I have quite a few family members born Gateshead, Felling and Jarrow that were baptised in one of the Newcastle churches--only a bridge or ferry away--the grass is greener....maybe because there is more manure in the other field ;D

Newcastle St. Nicholas is nearly at the top of a steep hill.  All Saints is about halfway up from the Tyne.  All Saints has an interesting and unusual interior for a C of E church.  They may have liked the clergy there or didn't like the local one.  Hard to say why except it was not that rare an occurance if you read the parish records.

Janis

Durham has a St. Nicholas.  It sits on the edge of the town square just down from the castle.  I don't know if the LDS makes corrections.  I know they have been told numerous times that "Parlington" is Darlington and is quite clear on the first page description that they wrote.

J
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline anthony pearson

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 17:39 BST (UK) »
hi all
i have a john thomas scott born in 1852 in gateshead he married a hannah gullan born in 1854 in newcastle  i only have one child from
sarah ann scott born in 1876 in newcastle she married a robert penman johnston in newcatle/gateshead they have 4 children all born in gateshead/newcastle

any one of yours
strong/stimpson/mccarrick/pearson/sparrow/parker/howd/johnston/baron/barron/
cairns/bell/

Offline scott-matheson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 September 11 06:50 BST (UK) »

Good morning all,

Absolutely amazing ! I have been looking for Thomas's origins on and off for months now, should have tried Rootschat long time ago. I will have to try and find out how someone with a scottish border name like Scott arrived in north yorkshire in the troubled times of the mid seventeen hundreds, interesting stuff. I did look in Durham Records Online but found nothing and only got Thomas's wife Grace Halliday's details from St John's monumental inscriptions at N.D.F.H.S. and I.G.I.

Thank you all for the help you gave me and thank you Allan for putting my finger on the correct button.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 September 11 07:45 BST (UK) »
I know I have refered several people to this site but somehow the word "chat" implies something different.  We are good if I must say so myself.  There are some that post a question then go to bed and by morning their whole family history is mapped out.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iainwise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 October 11 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi I am also a descendent of Thomas Scott(b1769)/ James Scott(b1809)/ Isabella Scott (b1844) m John Bewick Nicholson (1861) as I am new to rootschat can't forward details until have posted at least 3 times, I have significant amount of info will then try to get in touch directly. Iain

Offline scott-matheson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 October 11 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Iain,

That would be a great help to a struggler like me I still don't know a lot about Thomas's fate or where he is buried although I do know about Grace Halliday his wife. I took a trip to Middleham to have a look at the Anglican graveyard and also to both graveyards at East Witton but found no Scott graves there but I found at least five or six at Wensley. Have you got Watson Walker as Eleanor Walker's father? just discovered him a few weeks ago. Anyway I am keen to hear what information you have on any of our common ancestors and will certainly tell you all I have found out about them.

Thanks again, Jeff Scott.

Offline iainwise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 05:09 BST (UK) »
Jeff
Similarly I have not yet found death of Thomas. His wife Grace has an MI St John's Newcastle.
From my FTM file "Epitaphs of St John's Newcastle", C41 IMBW 1982 entry 63. Grace wife of Thomas SCOTT died June 18th 1817 Aged 52 years (flat stone). Although when checking the burials for St John's I have not found a burial.