Author Topic: Can anyone help :) Ellerdine, Shropshire  (Read 1559 times)

Offline garystead

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone help :) Ellerdine, Shropshire
« on: Tuesday 30 August 11 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hello all, I am new to this site and hoping someone can help give me some pointers. I am researching my maternal line and have come up against something of a brick wall.

My Grandmother was the illegitamate child of an unmarried woman working in the Ellerdine, Shropshire area in 1919. I have my Grandmothers birth certificate which names her birth mother but does not give the mothers age, her place of birth or any other details other than her full name and where she gave birth. The birth was registered 2 months after birth by the mother herself and no father is listed.

My question relates to where I can find further information about the birth mother who is listed as Elsie Mary (Or May) Griffiths. She was a house keeper working in Long Lane, Sleapford. My Grandmother was adopted out at a young age and I am at a loss as to what records may exist relating to her birth mother and how to trace her family line . A lady at Shropshire Archives kindly informed me it was common place for adoptions to be published weekly in the local newspaper around the time. I am heading to Telford on Saturday to have a look at their microfilms.

Has anyone else come across adoption procedures in these little Shropshire villages around this time and can anyone give me any advice? I no longer live in the area so have no local knowledge. Perhaps The Lodge was a home for unmarried mothers?

The details are:

Evelyn Maud Griffiths born 13th April 1919 born at The Lodge, Ellerdine to Elsie Mary (Or May) Griffiths,  at 8 Sleapford, Long Lane. Registered 9th June by Elsie Griffiths.

Many Thanks all, Jeff

Offline maudarby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help :) Ellerdine, Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeff
This is a difficult one. I think you can narrow down the Elsie Griffiths  living in the area to about  5 or 6 but how can you prove which one was Evelyn's mother.
No doubt Elsie married at some point & this is a possible to keep in mind.
Elsie May Griffiths & William Whitfield 7th Sep 1921 at Stanton-Upon-Hine-Heath, Shropshire. I think this couple went on to have 3 or 4 children.
I am presuming her occupation of housekeeper came from the birth certificate giving me the impression that she was possibly in her mid 20s or older.
Are you able to crop the part of cert with the mother's name & post it on here as we might be able to determine whether her middle name was May or Mary?
Nothing is showing up in the 1911 enumerator's books for either the Lodge or 8 Sleapford, Long Lane.

Maudarby