Author Topic: Marriage of Isabella and James Redshaw  (Read 3462 times)

Offline djpegg

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of Isabella and James Redshaw
« on: Wednesday 31 August 11 11:40 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the details of the marriage between Isabella Bowden and James Redshaw.In the 1771 census Isabella lived with her parents, John and Elizabeth, in Barrow-in-Furness in Lancs. She was listed as 15 at the time of the census. In the 1881 census she appeared in Aylesford, Kent, married with a 3-yr old daughter. This would probably put the marriage between 1874-1878. My grandmother mentioned her parents were married in Shoeburyness, Essex, where she was born in 1891. I don't think she was very sure about. Isabella and James moved a lot around the Thames Estuary regions of Essex and Kent. Other venues for the wedding could have been Aylseford, Kent or her home town of Barrow-in-Furness, Lancs. I couldn't find anything on FamilySearch. I'd really appreciate any help in solving this problem. Thanks, David

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Isabella and James Redshaw
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,  This is from FreeBMD for March qtr 1878 - two possible spellings, not the same as yours but similar enough to maybe be your couple?

BONHAM    Isabell        Shoreditch    1c   183    
BOREHAM    Isabell        Shoreditch    1c   183   

James & Isabell certainly got around - their 3 children in 1881 born in various parts of the country!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 September 11 05:13 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately not;
Clarence Sydney MATTHEWS, 23, Father WILLIAM Married Isabella BAREHAM, age 22, Father JOHN, 14 Oct 1878, St James, Shoreditch
(Marriage Reg Dec Qtr not March)

That James Redshaw Married Clara SMITH, Father JOHN, both with Occp Sadler

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 September 11 05:44 BST (UK) »
I cant find any possible Marriage even up to 1900 ::)
Maybe they never did Marry.

1851 James is born c 1844, Sittingbourne and is with Parents JAMES/CHARLOTTE
HO107/1627/129/17
1861 James is not at home and has a Sister Georgiana born c 1855
RG9/529/5/14
(I notice James/Isabella name a Daug Georgiana)
I cant find him 1861/1871 under any Surname.
Bit of a mystery!

EDIT do you have a Birth Cert of one of the Children to confirm Isabellas maiden name?

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 September 11 07:57 BST (UK) »
I looked for any James Redshaw marrying an Isabel*  between 1870-1878 and came up with that one in Shoreditch.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 September 11 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda V,
You did a great job in finding that possible Marriage and if I didnt have access to the actual Marriage details I would have thought it was the correct one also.

Offline djpegg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 September 11 14:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Linda and Trish for the fast replies. Linda, I would really like details of the Shoreditch wedding. Isabella was married with a 3-yr old daughter, Caroline in the 1881 census. It looks like the oldest child so she was probably married around 1877/78. London might be a good venue since she had moved south from Barrow, Lancs sometime between 1871 and 1881. I have good records for her husband, James Redshaw, who was born in Sittingboune, Kent in 1845. Isabella's parents were John Bowden and Elizabeth Rae but they probably didn't travel south to the wedding, if it was in Shoreditch, since public transportation was difficult and expensive in those days. I wonder what drew Isabella south from Barrow?
This is what makes genealogy fun! Again, thanks for the responses. Regards David

Offline djpegg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 September 11 14:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Linda and Trish for the fast replies. Linda, I would really like details of the Shoreditch wedding. Isabella was married with a 3-yr old daughter, Caroline in the 1881 census. It looks like the oldest child so she was probably married around 1877/78. London might be a good venue since she had moved south from Barrow, Lancs sometime between 1871 and 1881. I have good records for her husband, James Redshaw, who was born in Sittingboune, Kent in 1845. Isabella's parents were John Bowden and Elizabeth Rae but they probably didn't travel south to the wedding, if it was in Shoreditch, since public transportation was difficult and expensive in those days. I wonder what drew Isabella south from Barrow?
This is what makes genealogy fun! Again, thanks for the responses. Regards David

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 September 11 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
I may have not made myself clear earlier so will try again;

Marriage from FreeBMD;
James REDPATH, December 1878, Shoreditch, 1c 183
On the same page possible Female Spouses are,
Isabell BONHAM/BOREHAM or Clara SMITH
Other Male Spouse is Clarence Sydney MATHERS

NOTE it was Reg Dec and not March as Linda V posted.

MARRIAGE;
20 October 1878, St James Church, Shoreditch
James REDSHAW, 22, Bachelor, Occp Saddler, Residence Gloucester St, Father JOHN Redshaw, Occp Saddler.
Clara SMITH, 22, Widow, No Occp, Residence, Gloucester St, Father Job ALDRIDGE, Occp Engineer

MARRIAGE;
14 October 1878, St James, Shoreditch
Clarence Sydney MATHERS, 23, Bachelor, Occp.Telegraph Clerk, Residence 100 Pelfield Rd, Father WILLIAM Mathers, Occp Railway Clerk
Isabell BAREHAM, 22, Spinster, Residence 80 Spencer St, Father JOHN Bareham, Occp Builder
Witnesses, Ernest Mathers, Elizabeth Bareham, Percy Mathers