Author Topic: Marriage of Isabella and James Redshaw  (Read 3463 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Isabella and James Redshaw
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 September 11 00:21 BST (UK) »
That is not your James/Isabellas Marriage Reg.

Yours are in Aylesford, Kent in 1881

Clarence and Isabel MATHERS are in St John, Hackney , London in 1881
James and Clara REDSHAW are in St Giles in the Fields, London in 1881

Now to my original question earlier.
How do you know Isabellas maiden name was BOWDEN?
Do you have a Childs Birth Cert to confirm it?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline djpegg

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 September 11 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish. Yes, I have the birth certificate of Isabella Bowden in Manchester in 1856. her parents are listed as John Bowden and Elizabeth Rae. At the time, John was in the army. A year earlier, John is listed as a saddler on the marriage certificate that I have. The marriage is between John Bowden  and Elizabeth Rae. The fathers are listed as Thomas Bowden and Benjamin Rae. The Bowdens moved from Manchester to Barrow. Isabeela was 15 at the time of the 1871 census. At the time of the 1881 census, she was already married with a 3-yr old daughter. She then lived in Aylesford, Kent. She must have been married around 1877 0r 78. Maybe she was pregnant and wanted to move from her home in Barrow to the anonymity of London. It is not clear what James Redshaw's role was. Did they meet in Barrow or London? I have a pretty good record of  the Bowdens and the Raes prior to Isabella's birth. Also good record of the Redshaws prior to and after the marriage. Just can't find the wedding. I'm pretty certain they were married. They had a great number of children between 1878 and 1891, when my grandmother was born. It seems the family were "Estuary" folk. James was a brick maker who seemed to move from job to job in the Thames estuary areas of kent and Essex. They seemed to spend more time in later years in Grays and Shoeburyness, Essex. Again, thanks for your responses. regards. David

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 September 11 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
What I am trying to get at is how you now Isabella was nee Bowden?
The London marriage is not your Isabella/James and there is no evidence they were ever in London.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline djpegg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 September 11 01:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish. The birth certificate for isabella Bowden in 1856 named her father as John Bowden. isabella was born in Manchester. her father John Bowden was born in 1823 in Marple, Cheshire. Her maiden name was definitely Bowden. My grandmother even told me this when she was alive. I also have the birth certificate of my grandmother in 1891. Her parents are listed as james Redshaw and Isabella Redshaw (maiden name. Bowden). I have established a lot about her and her husband but just find any evidence of the marriage. It is a bit unusual for a young women to travel from Lancs to Kent at this time. I now agree that the marriage in Shoreditch you listed is not the one we seek. I managed to find the age of the James Redshaw at the time of the Shoreditch marriage and it indicates he was born in 1856, coincidentally the same year as isabella was born. The James Redshaw of my line was born in 1845. I also have this birth certificate. I also found that the Shoreditch Redshaw married Clara Smith. So back to square one. Thanks again for your help. David

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 September 11 01:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that David.
I thought I was going crazy. I have tried everything I can to find a Marriage of theirs with no luck.
At least you have confirmed now her maiden name from a Birth Cert and Family info.
Sorry to be so pedantic but from helping others I am often annoyed that they wont buy Certs. This is obviously not the case with you.
Sorry I cant be more help.
It looks to me they may have not Married.
Do you have James in 1871 Census?
Is it possible he was Married to someone else?
Left them and took up with Isabella?
Stranger things have happened.

Offline djpegg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 September 11 01:20 BST (UK) »
Trish. Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll let you know if I ever find out what happened. I guess they might have not married as you suggest but in those prim and proper Victorian times children born out of wedlock would have been socially frowned upon much more than now. Isabella had about 10 children between 1878 and 1891. Couldn't all be out of wedlock, could they? All the best. david

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 02 September 11 01:25 BST (UK) »
Yes they could ;)
It happens more than you would think and has been found in many a Family Line here on Rootschat.
With first 3 Children born in Northamptonshire, Yorkshire and Kent, they may have been avoiding something.

Hopefully someone else will look over this and come up with something.

(who should be out Grocery Shopping and not on the Computer!)