Author Topic: William Holmes born circa 1851 Ireland  (Read 10516 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Aquilegia18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Holmes born circa 1851 Ireland
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 August 15 13:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the link to family search.   I did manage to purchase a copy of the marriage certificate from Rosscommon and I also have a copy of Catherine's baptism details.
I haven't been able to get very far with the James Brennan bit so far but, to tell the truth, I just haven't had the time or opportunity to do much searching.
The scanned Parish Records for Norfolk have been an absolute joy to read and I have found quite a lot of 'maybe' ancestors.   Many thanks.
Aquilegia18
Rowley - Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Staffordshire
Dawson - Nottinghamshire
Holmes- Norfolk, Derbyshire

Offline jaksprat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 August 15 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Aquilegia.  We've been away on holiday and I have just seen your reply.  Am I right in saying your Grandfather is John Henry Holmes (b1862) and he is the brother of William Holmes (b1851/2), and their father was William Holmes (b1822)?

If so and John was a Carpenter and his father (William b1822) was also a Carpenter that makes it more likely that the William Holmes (b1852) the I am tracing is related to them. 

My only reservation is that William Holmes (B1822) stated on his military records that he was a Weaver and on all other documentation I have he was either a pensioner or a Hawker.  Do you happen to know where he was for the 1841 Census?  I have found a Willm Holms living in Staltham Norfolk with an occupation of Carpenter.  This would make sense as in 1841 William's Father was being convicted and  transported to Tasmania and his mother had died in the workhouse, the majority of his siblings were in the workhouse.

Hope this helps you, if you have anything to add please let me know.

Offline Aquilegia18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 August 15 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, hope you enjoyed your holiday.   Some of your information tallies with the information I have.
Can you please give me a couple of days and I will give you details of the info I do have, albeit not necessarily correct, as I have no relatives left who can clarify details for me.
I promise I will get back to you more fully within a couple of days.
Sorry for the delay but my duties as a carer don't leave me much spare time.
Regards,
Aquilegia18
Dawson - Nottinghamshire

Offline Aquilegia18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 September 15 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Jaksprat,
So sorry I haven't replied to your post but have been tied up with duties at home.
I promise I will reply properly as soon as I can and I most certainly have not forgotten.
I have had to 'tidy' my files and papers away for the time being.
I grew up with the 'family story' that my grandfather was born in Ireland (in fact born Norwich) and that his father was also born in Ireland and was a ships carpenter.   The story goes that great grandfather and grandfather came over from Ireland and worked on the 'ship canals' but which one I have no idea.   The William Holmes (born 1822 bap 1825) was a militia man and then was conscripted into the army (the Buffs).   I believe he met and married his wife Catherine Brennan whilst serving with the Buffs Regt.   I don't know where he was in 1841 as he appears to have been in the army at this time and so (I think) was his brother.   As you say, the younger ones were in the Workhouse.   
Do you have proof that William's mother (Susan/na) died in the Workhouse?
Be back soon.   Regards,
Aquilegia18
Dawson - Nottinghamshire

Offline jaksprat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 September 15 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Aquiligia
Thanks for your reply. I have also put away my files for the summer but after watching WTYTYA last week I have dragged the file out.
I have a copy of the death certificate for Susan Holmes, wife of Edward Holmes Weaver.  She died May 1839 in the parish of St Augustine Norwich aged 44 from Consumption.  The informant was Susan Holmes who is listed as 'Inmate, Pitt St, St Augustine' I think this is her daughter. On the 1841 Census there are Mary Ann, Samuel, Teresa, Susan & Priscilla Holmes all living in The Workhouse.
Hope this helps.

Jaksprat

Offline Aquilegia18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 September 15 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Jaksprat,
Tried to reply earlier - don't know what happened so here goes again.
I too have a copy death certificate for Susan Holmes.   My one seems to tally with yours apart from the details of the informant.  My certe says:
"The mark of X Susan Holmes
Mother
Pitt street St.Augustine"
I got my certe from the Register Office at Churchman House, Norwich.   Where did you get yours from?   
Your certe makes more sense than mine.   I just thought I had the wrong certe and have never had the time to chase up another one.
Regards,  Aquilegia
Dawson - Nottinghamshire

Offline jaksprat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 September 15 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Aquilegia
Just double checked my certificate and it definitely says 'The mark of Susan Holmes inmate Pitt Street St Augustine' for the informant.  I got mine from the General Records Office using information I got from Ancestry.
I found a christening record on FamilySearch.org for Susannah Moores and her mother was called Charlotte.
If you message me your email address i'd be happy to send you a copy.
Jaksprat

Offline Aquilegia18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 September 15 14:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your kind offer - will send you a pm.
Regards,
Aquilegia18
Dawson - Nottinghamshire