Author Topic: Chambers in Greasley before 1743  (Read 3928 times)

Offline ChambEU

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chambers in Greasley before 1743
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I've got that too. (well, not the CD but online). I'm now trying to find a marriage of Thomas and Margaret prior to their first daughter Hannah in 1775. So that means likely dates 1760-1775. the only one that makes sense online between a Thomas Chambers and Magaret is in Sterling, Scotland in 1758...but thats over 15 years before their first child... which again leads me to believe that to a false lead.... Is the national archives the best place to go from here? Does the Notts CD show Marriages?

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Sorry already checked the marriages. None show up.
I checked on Family Search and the only one that came up was Stirling in Scotland but the name was Chalmers
Thomas Chalmers and Margaret Paterson 29 Aug 1774
Bride's father was a Robert Paterson.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 10:42 GMT (UK) »
There is only 1 burial at Greasley
15-8-1781 BENNIT Chambers Notes say he was a child.
 The only baptism I can find 13-5-1782 Bennit son of John and Mary Chambers at Greasley.Maybe they named the next child with the dead siblings name -not unusual.
Greasley marriage
22-1-1782 John Chambers and Mary Marshall.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline ChambEU

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Ive jumped back to Ebeneerzer who was born 1817 in little steeping, lincolnshire. (carpenter in the poor houses of Wainfleet all saints-1861), and i think his father was John born in 1790 in cossall which puts the family back in Nottighamnshire. so any help with John in Cossall 1790-1800 would be appreciated..there was a lot of Chambers in the region at the time, so its a little tricky. Why would so many be in one place?

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Baptism Cossall St Catherine
7-4-1800 John son of John and Ruth Chambers
8 other children for this couple, baptised Cossall.
Marriage Cossall
4-12-1797 John Chambers and Ruth Newton.

Lincs to the Past
Baptism Little Steeping
9 Feb 1817 Ebenezar son of John and Mary Chambers of Little Steeping father a Carpenter. Soloman Parker Rector

Offline ChambEU

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 11:53 GMT (UK) »
thanks you're quick ;)

any idea of the marriage of John and Mary Chambers of Little Steeping?

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 15:15 GMT (UK) »
http://www.lincstothepast.com/
Just put Little Steeping into the search box and you can view the registers online.

Offline ChambEU

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 12:10 GMT (UK) »
ok-great. great resource thanks.

I found the marriage of John Chambers to a Mary Boswell in 1815, Little Stepping. They both seem to be from the same parish, which leads me to believe that John is from Lincoln and perhaps not from Greasley as originally I thought. Looking at the general records of little steeping from c.1780 the same rector is listed but i can't make out a 'Chambers'. (at least from the picture quality)

The only 2 baptisms of a John Chambers that make sense are in Ingham (next village over- but this would put them at 40 yrs by the time he married Mary?) or in Greasley, Notts in 1775, 1788 &  1792 . There is even a john Chambers in Sutton in ashfeild born 1782- which is interesting as the family end up there 150 years later.so... The 1792 John in Gresley could work as that would put him at 23 when he married. But its a stretch...

so my question is, Is there any way of finding out how old John Chambers was at his marriage or death in order to ascertain his birth year? where do I go from here? Any help would be appreciated.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Firstly, to be of the Parish, only means they were living there at the time of Marriage, not that they were born there.
There is a John Chambers on the 1841 census in Little Steeping he was aged 50 ( rounded age on the 1841)and a carpenter. His wife is Mary and he has the following children with him Elizabeth 20, John 13 , Mary 10 , Dorothy 8, George 6, Frederick 3  and Charlotte 1.

Baptism Greasley St Mary
Neither John or Mary were born in County although the children were. So you should find their baptisms in the Little Steeping book.
Making his birth around 1791, I have given you some baptisms in previous posts for John.

The 1851 census, still Little Steeping
John Chambers 67 Carpenter born Cossall Notts
1871 Census still in Little Steeping aged 81 a retired Carpenter.
Wife Mary aged 74 born Castle Donnington.

I cannot find John on the 1881 census, so if you look in the burial reg between 1871-81 you may find his burial.i would assume for starters in Little Deeping.