Author Topic: Henry and Clara Azulay - Photographers  (Read 8177 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Henry and Clara Azulay - Photographers
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 19:00 BST (UK) »
This  is all I can find in the papers  using the names you gave , and photographer.
Whether Isaac is the same one is doubtful, but the later ones seem to be.

Liverpool Mercury, May 21, 1863
Birth
May 28th  at 201 York-street Manchester the wife of Mr Isaac Azulay of a son.
Births Jun 1863   
AZULAY  Walter Moses    Manchester  8d 340

1861 Chorlton on Medlock
Isaac Azulay 24 commision agent  British Subject
Fanny Azulay 22

The Standard , August 05, 1865
Bankrupts
Isaac Azulay , merchant Manchester

~~~~~~~~---------
The Essex County Advertiser June 03, 1893
Walton on Maze.
A. Azulay photographer was proposed as a candidate for the role of Assistant Overseer

The Essex County Gazette, and Eastern Counties July 06, 1895
Bernard Augustine Bowhay was charged with threatening Albert Azulay, photographer. He was outside the showroom making hideous  faces , then took out a clasp knife with the blade open , it seems they had previously been friends  . It is quite a long article and has nothing to say about Alberts family.

The Essex County Standard ,Eastern Counties Advertiser Saturday, June 10, 1899
Alfred Maurice Azulay photographer of Walton on Maze was charged with deserting his wife.
They were married 5 years previously at Colchester Register Office and had 3 children .
A very long article which mentions a female  assistant  ;)

This is a difficult name to find in the census , far too many transcription errors  ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline bobfilm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 01:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks wilcoxon for newspaper articles - agree second ones seem right.

Have used PhotoLondon, but find info is not always reliable and is not referenced.

Regards
Bobfilm
Researching East London & Essex Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers and Studios in Waltham Forest.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 12:01 BST (UK) »
Nothing to do with the Azulays, but a follow up on Bernard Augustine Bowhay.

Bernard Augustine Bowhay would have only been  about 14 when he was charged with bad behaviour.
There is a letter in the  same paper as the court case from his father, thanking the people of Walton on Maze in allowing his son freedom as long as possible he was acting on experienced advice.
Reading beteen the lines it seems Bernard may have had a mental health problem as he was known to the police for similar behaviour.

In 1881 he is living in Manor Villas, Belfont Lane , Feltham. he was aged 4 and born in Modbury Devon, as was his father Tom Anderson Bowhay. His mother is Louise.
1891 they are at Lacoste Road , Tottenham, Tom is a private  tutor.
1901 they are at 11 Wymond St , Putney, Tom is an army tutor.

They later move to Clapham. There are quite a few more children born over the years.

It`s possible Bernard may have gone to Canada with the Army, a man of the same name appears in the Canadian soldiers of the 1st world war . also the burials.

This is him found on the war Graves Commision site.

BOWHAY, BERNARD AUGUSTINE 
Private / Service No:883371
Date of Death:03/06/1917
Regiment/Service:Canadian Infantry /  50th Bn.
VIMY MEMORIAL

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline CCLaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 June 12 21:25 BST (UK) »
UPDATE
Isaac (Henry) Azulay
I think his parents may have been Maurice Azulay (b. 1814 in Germany) and Matilda (b. 1812 in Whitechapel). They are shown in Colchester Street, Saint Mary Whitechapel, Tower Hamlets where the father is an Umbrella Maker. They have a son Isaac   (b. 1846 in Sun St, Bishops Gate) which seems to match. I can find no record after this.
There is a mention of a Isaac Azulay (aged 74) born 1807 in Hamburg, Germany as Widowed / Inmate of Hospital at 253 Mile End Road. (Family History Library Film 1341105 / Public Records Office Reference RG11)

Isaac (Henry) Azulay's children with Sarah (Sarah Hart Azulay?) were:
Treasy Maurice Azulay (b. 1880 in Dawlish, Devonshire)
who became a photographer and married either Emma Marie Harrys or Emily Grace M M Sholl? in 1902.
Herbert Azulay (b. 1887 in Torquay, Devonshire) who became a Photographers Assistant and married Emilie Adeline Kite (b. 1891 in Battersea Surrey).

Issac seems to have married Rosie (b. 1881 Hackney) after Sarah's death in 1905? He is still a photographer, resident at Old Kent Road, Southwark. They have two children   
Stella (b.1906 in Rochester, Kent) and Winifred Gertrude M (b. 1909 in St Pancras, London).
Any info on this would be helpful

Meanwhile his first wife shown as Clara (nee Issac?) son with him Albert Maurice Azulay (b. abt 1870 in St Pancras, Middlesex – d. 1958 in Honiton, Devon) who was a photographer in Walton Le Soken/Walton on the Naze area, marries Eva Roy (b. abt. 1874 in Walton-on-Naze, Essex - d. 20 Jul 1933 in Thorpe-Le-Soken, Essex). in Colchester, Essex around 1894.
For some reason their children have the last name 'Wallace'
Merle Azulay Wallace (b. abt 1896 in Walton On The Naze, Essex – ?)
Roy Azulay Wallace   (b. abt 1897 in Walton On The Naze, Essex – ?)
Paul Azulay Wallace   (b. abt 1902 in Sidmouth, Devon – ?)

According to Essex Record Office their is no record of him in area as a photographer c. 1890's?

There is a Probate Record for an Issac Azulay of 228 Old Kent Road who died on 3 March 1933 leaving £503 to Herbert Azulay, gas lighting engineer.

If anybody can add any info on Issac (Henry) Azulay or other members I would be grateful.

Offline CCLaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 June 12 21:30 BST (UK) »
The Stella Azulay that you refer to was my grandmother. She had three sisters and two brothers.

Offline regburrscoatpeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 November 12 09:47 GMT (UK) »
UPDATE
Isaac (Henry) Azulay
I think his parents may have been Maurice Azulay (b. 1814 in Germany) and Matilda (b. 1812 in Whitechapel). They are shown in Colchester Street, Saint Mary Whitechapel, Tower Hamlets where the father is an Umbrella Maker. They have a son Isaac   (b. 1846 in Sun St, Bishops Gate) which seems to match. I can find no record after this.
There is a mention of a Isaac Azulay (aged 74) born 1807 in Hamburg, Germany as Widowed / Inmate of Hospital at 253 Mile End Road. (Family History Library Film 1341105 / Public Records Office Reference RG11)

Isaac (Henry) Azulay's children with Sarah (Sarah Hart Azulay?) were:
Treasy Maurice Azulay (b. 1880 in Dawlish, Devonshire)
who became a photographer and married either Emma Marie Harrys or Emily Grace M M Sholl? in 1902.
Herbert Azulay (b. 1887 in Torquay, Devonshire) who became a Photographers Assistant and married Emilie Adeline Kite (b. 1891 in Battersea Surrey).

Issac seems to have married Rosie (b. 1881 Hackney) after Sarah's death in 1905? He is still a photographer, resident at Old Kent Road, Southwark. They have two children   
Stella (b.1906 in Rochester, Kent) and Winifred Gertrude M (b. 1909 in St Pancras, London).
Any info on this would be helpful

Meanwhile his first wife shown as Clara (nee Issac?) son with him Albert Maurice Azulay (b. abt 1870 in St Pancras, Middlesex – d. 1958 in Honiton, Devon) who was a photographer in Walton Le Soken/Walton on the Naze area, marries Eva Roy (b. abt. 1874 in Walton-on-Naze, Essex - d. 20 Jul 1933 in Thorpe-Le-Soken, Essex). in Colchester, Essex around 1894.
For some reason their children have the last name 'Wallace'
Merle Azulay Wallace (b. abt 1896 in Walton On The Naze, Essex – ?)
Roy Azulay Wallace   (b. abt 1897 in Walton On The Naze, Essex – ?)
Paul Azulay Wallace   (b. abt 1902 in Sidmouth, Devon – ?)

According to Essex Record Office their is no record of him in area as a photographer c. 1890's?

There is a Probate Record for an Issac Azulay of 228 Old Kent Road who died on 3 March 1933 leaving £503 to Herbert Azulay, gas lighting engineer.

If anybody can add any info on Issac (Henry) Azulay or other members I would be grateful.

Hi, I think we have the same Issac (Well I hope so)

b.1845, father Morris/Maurice and mother Matilda
d. 1933

He married Rosina Slotkey (Jacobs) in Brigton on 20/09/1910 in Brighton

They had the Following Children
Stella b.1906
Winifred b.1909
Constance b.1911
Esther b.1913
Joffre b.1915 (My Grandfather)
David b.1917
Blanche 6.1919

Any info would be fantastic to help this along

Offline regburrscoatpeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 November 12 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hope this helps

From JewishGen 1851 Database

Surname   Given Names   Year of Birth
Place of Birth   Father
Mother   ID
Click to View
AZULAY    Isaac    1845
Aldgate, London    Maurice (Moses) Azulay
Rachel Matilda Nunes Lara     30776

Anyone who can help with this, I would really appreciate it

Jase

Offline lindamary5

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 August 14 19:00 BST (UK) »
Isaac(Henry) Azulay was my great-grandfather and my grandfather was Tressy Azulay.  He later changed his name for business purposes as he wanted a more buzzy name for a photographer.

Offline regburrscoatpeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 31 August 14 19:06 BST (UK) »
Isaac(Henry) Azulay was my great-grandfather and my grandfather was Tressy Azulay.  He later changed his name for business purposes as he wanted a more buzzy name for a photographer.

Hi Linda, thanks for the reply. Do you believe that this isaac, re-married and lived at 228 Old Kent Road in later life
Thanks in advance