Author Topic: 'Visiting' old addresses, ancestral locations etc. via Street View  (Read 9911 times)

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'Visiting' old addresses, ancestral locations etc. via Street View
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 September 11 17:11 BST (UK) »
  I did find one in Yarmouth, Norfolk that my g.gran lived in in 1866 - her first child was born there - and when I saw it I was surprised at the size of the house, until I realised like Heather, that she had probably only lived in a part of the house, or even just one room.

Lizzie

Modified - Oops, I didn't mean that Heather only lived in one room, just that like Heather I had realised .....

;D ;D ;D Haha I knew what you meant!  

Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 September 11 17:15 BST (UK) »
I have a photo of my great-grandmother's little corner shop in Wolverhampton, taken around 1916 (dated via Kelly's Directory for the area, plus sons' marriage certificates). Street view shows the building is still there, still a shop, but with one of those awful steel roller shutters down, so must have been 'out of hours'. I plan to go in the flesh one day, during opening hours, and take another photo! (Perhaps with me in the doorway ???)
giraffe

What's the address, girafffe? You never know what I might find!

Cati

Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 September 11 17:34 BST (UK) »
I have trawled in person several addresses in London my ancestors lived at from Walworth to Hackney.

In Holborn the tenement building that my ancestors lived at is still standing today next to St Alban The Martyr Church. One of the minority that still remain and are not replaced by towerblocks, a supermarket or leisure centre.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 September 11 18:48 BST (UK) »
I just found the first place I lived in when married !   

Tower block in Brum !!   ::)     NOT my kind of home any more ...
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline giraffe

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 September 11 23:30 BST (UK) »
Cati, It was 69, Nine Elms Lane. On the photo she is standing in the doorway, and you can just see 'Elm House' on the stone lintel over the door. The shop is on the corner of Nine Elms Lane (which is off Cannock Road) and ?Swinton? Road/Street. I posted the picture on Rootschat a long time ago, asking if someone could identify one of the adverts in the shop window, not sure where I posted it, or if I can retrieve the post. Perhaps if I have a root round . . . .
From 'street view' the shop now has an Asian owner according to the sign high up on the wall. Gt grandma was previously the owner of a shop in Crowther Street (Kelly's again), but no photo of that one.
giraffe
PRICE Edward (c.1860)  Harry PRICE (1891) Frank PRICE (c.1897), Arthur PRICE (1884). Compton, Tettenhall, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire.
GARFIELD, Edgbaston and Wolverhampton
JOHNSON, Wolverhampton and Bilston
ATKINS, Wolverhamptonand Bilston

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 September 11 08:24 BST (UK) »
Ah, it's now the Randhawa General Store.

Park Village isn't an area I know paticularly well, or tend to go to.  Otherwise I'd have offered to take a photo for you.

One of Dad's family married a girl from Nine Elms Lane - I can't remember for the life of me what her name was - it'll be in my notes somewhere...

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline giraffe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 September 11 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Cati,
My Price g- grandparents only had 3 boys, and I have the records, Certs, etc., so I doubt if we have any connection.  The photo is of Edward Price and his 3 sons.
Interestingly, the 2 younger sons married 2 sisters (Jones) who lived in Woden Road, which leads off Cannock Road a little further along from Nine Elms Lane. Both fathers were railwaymen, which would explain their connection.
Thanks for the thought, and the offer anyway. Most of my other family came from the Ettingshall/Bilston area. I'll be going to 'Wolves' before too long I hope, (if I can  persuade my sister to come along).
giraffe.
PRICE Edward (c.1860)  Harry PRICE (1891) Frank PRICE (c.1897), Arthur PRICE (1884). Compton, Tettenhall, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire.

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 September 11 17:28 BST (UK) »
Google Street View is great for places I can't get to, but I do like to actually get there in person if I can.

I remember the thrill of seeing the house where my gt grandfather was born - and discovering that it was next door to a pub I'd drunk in on a few occasions without knowing, and that the house was a listed building and now very posh (its on Richmond Green, in London).

I also found the house where my gt grandfather died in Aylesbury - and I know its the original house as it has the date on the front.
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline giraffe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 September 11 18:01 BST (UK) »
I managed a visit to both sets of my grandparents' houses - both terraced houses, but both had been 'tarted up' with plastic bay windows, whereas the original windows were
ordinary sash windows. I count myself lucky that they hadn't been knocked down - the fate of many old terraces. My gt grandparents' houses were No.1 Court (long gone), then a terraced house which has since been rendered and a porch added, and the third was the shop. I have yet to find the house they last lived in, I think the whole street may have been demolished. Back to the fun of the search - great fun, and it all adds to this great hobby of ours!
giraffe