Author Topic: Rose RATTIGAN of Moyglare  (Read 5928 times)

Offline ConJPower

• RootsChat Extra
  • Conas atá tú ?
    • View Profile
Rose RATTIGAN of Moyglare
« on: Friday 02 September 11 18:36 BST (UK) »
hi
trying to find some info on my 4xgr grandmother, Rose Fagan (nee Rattigan) from around Moyglare, Co.Meath - just on the Kildare border.  I've exhausted all the usual references - at least I think I have.  She would've been born around 1810 +/- 5 yrs and had a son Anthony (with husband John Fagan sp. Fegan) in 1844.

thanks
Power, Furlong, Breen, Wyse, Roche, Prendergast, Murphy {Wexford}.
Fagan, Warde, Kearney {Kildare/Dublin}.
Rickard, Hoy, Sheridan {Dublin}.
Sullivan, Lee, Cronin, Blows {London}

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Rose RATTIGAN of Moyglare
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 September 11 18:49 BST (UK) »
You didn't mention which denomination your Rattigan family were, but if they were R C then it looks like Rose's baptism would have been before the start of records in the parish which covers the area.

RC parish Kilcloon, Batterstown and Kilcock, NLI microfilm Pos. 4177, covers baptisms and marriages from 1836.

(the RC parish includes several civil parishes, including Moyglare)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ConJPower

• RootsChat Extra
  • Conas atá tú ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 September 11 13:44 BST (UK) »
thanks shane - thats as i feared.

because moyglare is so close to the kildare border - and about 2 miles from maynooth, co.kildare, could it be possible she was baptised there instead ?   would people gravitate to the neaerest big town ?
Power, Furlong, Breen, Wyse, Roche, Prendergast, Murphy {Wexford}.
Fagan, Warde, Kearney {Kildare/Dublin}.
Rickard, Hoy, Sheridan {Dublin}.
Sullivan, Lee, Cronin, Blows {London}

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 September 11 13:51 BST (UK) »
Theoretically people would attend the parish church for the area they lived in, and that's where baptisms should have taken place, but since the location is near to a parish boundary there's no harm in trying the neighbouring parishes..

Maynooth parish has baptism records back to August 1814, so covers just over a year of the date range you mentioned.

You can view maps of the parishes on the Irish Times website - see : RC Parishes

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline meathmitchell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 December 12 23:17 GMT (UK) »
there is a church of ireland church in moyglare - sometimes catholic births were recorded in their records. Moyglare is closer to kilcock than maynooth, i'd also check out mulhussey . that area also has a church just on the meath side of the kilcock - i think its in kilcloon parish .