Author Topic: WW1 Soldier  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Estoniankaar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW1 Soldier
« on: Saturday 03 September 11 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to find out about my Great Grandad - John Fearnley.
He was born in Salford in 1887, but for the most part lived in
Ardwick.
I have been trying to find information about him for a long time,
I have recently been sent some information that shows that he was in WW1.
he was in the South Lancs Regt, no 19417.
This information was from the  Absent Voters List 1918.
Does anyone have any more information that might help me
Thank-you
Jeannette

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Soldier
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 September 11 15:16 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat and the armed forces board Jeannette,

Can not throw any real light on your request about your G Grandfather but his medal card is available from the National Archives site and can be down loaded for a small fee. This card will not give you any personal information but it will say what medals he was awarded.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=2354470&queryType=1&resultcount=27

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 September 11 15:18 BST (UK) »
hi,,are you just looking for military info,,,or do you need anything else?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Estoniankaar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 September 11 15:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Old Rowley - I should have mentioned that I have already got his medal card, but as you say - not much information on it.
Gortonboy, I would be grateful for any information that you may be able to offer.

Thanks to you both
Jeannette

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 September 11 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeanette

There does not appear to be duplication of numbers in this range in the South Lancs, and the medal card for 19415 says he was in the 11th Battalion. As a double check 19418 (William Schofield) appears to have two cards. If one is for the Silver War Badge it should give the date of enlistment and maybe confirm the battalion.

If you cannot get confirmation this way you can either look for service records on Ancestry of nearby numbers, or go to Kew and view the medal roll. If he was in the 11th Battalion you can get an idea of what he did here - http://www.1914-1918.net/southlancs.htm

You can then look at the 30th and 66th Divisions by clicking British Divisions on the left.

Ken

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 September 11 16:43 BST (UK) »
hi,,i think he was actually born in Warrington,,,,there is no birth reference in Salford,,there is one in Warrington,,,his parents and some of his siblings were born in Warrington.
i think he married a Lily Ellis in 1909 at St Silas church in Ardwick.
does this info tie in with what you know?  ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline Estoniankaar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 September 11 16:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks again.
Gortonboy - yes this ties in with him - he had two children - Amy and John (my grandad), I think he worked on the railway after the war. Beyond that I don't know, oh he died in 1947, C-on-M.
KM1971
I will check the links you posted. I have attached the medal card that I have

Thanks
Jeannette

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 September 11 16:58 BST (UK) »
what address was he living at in the 1918 absent voters list?

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 September 11 17:05 BST (UK) »
his parents seem to be a William Fearnley born c1848 and Elizabeth nee Fairhurst born c 1849