Author Topic: help in finding John Masters Bradford (b. 1823) in RN  (Read 2138 times)

Offline louisefi

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
help in finding John Masters Bradford (b. 1823) in RN
« on: Sunday 04 September 11 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am after some help or advice in tracing one of my ancestors in the Royal Navy as I just cant seem to find him anywhere.

His name is Johns Masters Bradford (born about 1823 in Brighton, Sussex).   He married Caroline Osborn in 1846.  In 1849 he is listed as working as a mariner.  He lived in Telscombe, Newhaven, Sussex.

The census returns have really confused me as I have found two for 1861 (one is onboard a ship and states it was taken April 7th 1861 -I wonderd if they took it later) or if in fact it is two different people.

In the 1861 census he is listed as working in the Royal Navy and I have found another 1861 census saying he was onboard the vessel the HMS Megaera as a Stoker.

I have tried searching RN archives at national archives online but can not find anything.

Can anyone give any advice where to look next to find him in the Royal Navy?

Thanks

Kind Regards

Louise

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help in finding John Masters Bradford (b. 1823) in RN
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 September 11 11:00 BST (UK) »
Louise on the 61 Cencus do the ages and places of birth tally for both entries?
If not it could be two men

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline louisefi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 September 11 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Ady,

Well this is where it confuses me even more.

On the 1861 census onboard the vessel Megaera in the Royal Navy he is listed as born in Brighton (which is correct)  and aged 38 which would be correct.

On the other 1861 census I have he is listed as born in Brighton and living with his wife Caroline (aged 37) and his children.  His occupation says he is a sailor in the Royal Navy.  However his age says 57, which is not correct.  At first I thought maybe it was his father living here, while he was away at sea (his father had the same name), but he is listed as the 'head' and Caroline is listed as 'wife' not 'daughter in law'.  Therefore I thought maybe the census man had wrote his age wrong?

What do you think? Its giving me a headache, haha.  I thought if I could find him on Royal Navy records it may make more sense, but I cant locate him.

Thanks

Best Wishes

Louise

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 September 11 11:29 BST (UK) »
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=6990377&queryType=1&resultcount=1

Yes I cant locate him in Royal Navy searches including Reserves and Royal Marines....Maybe the enumerator did make a mistake...The only John Bradford I can see on docs is the guy above could he be a son?

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline louisefi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 September 11 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Ady

Yes its strange isnt it that he cant be found on Royal Navy.  Yes that could be a son as he had a son who he named John M Bradford.  If I pay for that record would it tell me any more information that would be usefull?

Thanks

Lou

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 September 11 14:25 BST (UK) »
If I pay for that record would it tell me any more information that would be usefull?

Hi Lou

No. It will give his date and place of birth but not who his parents were.

Ken

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 September 11 16:39 BST (UK) »
The Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton have a lot of RN records that arent online Its Possible they may be able to help you.
Ill post a link for you.

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)