Author Topic: Sarah LYNCH - body in Forth and Clyde canal.  (Read 3579 times)

Offline NellieT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah LYNCH - body in Forth and Clyde canal.
« on: Sunday 04 September 11 14:15 BST (UK) »
I have just found the death entry for Sarah Lynch who died 4 Mar 1915. I have had difficulty deciphering it but I think it says "Fall in Forth and Clyde Canal near to Dalmuir Bridge". The cause of death is left blank presumably while investigations took place. On the margin of the entry it directs you to the RCE  which I believe is record of corrected entry. Does anyone know whether you can look at RCEs online or could anyone check this entry for me? I don't know much about Scottish records other than what I have found on Scotland's People. Hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks Nellie

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah LYNCH - body in Forth and Clyde canal.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 September 11 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

There should be a red icon to the right above the sheet  labelled View RCE?  If you click on that, you can view the RCE for 2 credits:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?1314

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline NellieT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 September 11 14:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you for such a speedy reply. I never noticed the Red tab before ! is it new? I have another death that has a corrected entry which I can also look at now. You have been a great help but the RCE told me nothing to explain how she ended up in the canal. I suppose no one will ever know. Thanks again, Nellie

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 15:36 BST (UK) »
Nellie,there might a report about the death in a local newspaper.Libraries usually have copies of them sometimes on microfilm and it might give a bit more information.

Steve
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell
Durham/Northumberland-Mellanby
Cornwall-Chenhall,Bodinner
Fife-Mitchell,Gourlay,Dryburgh

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 15:43 BST (UK) »
Nellie,  try the National Archives,   http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/     Skoosh.

Offline NellieT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 16:38 BST (UK) »
Cause of death was  drowning so I assume she fell in or threw herself in. Thanks Skoosh for the link to the nas site I didn't know it existed. Are any of the newspapers accessible online as I am unable to travel to Scotland to visit any local archives?
Unfortunately my other RCE death still does not have an RCE icon on it to look at the corrected entry.  Thanks Nellie

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 17:10 BST (UK) »
Nellie, go onto this site,   http://www.talkingscot.com/forum/     and type in "newspaper archives", it should come up with something.     Skoosh.

Offline NellieT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 18:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Skoosh - yet another site I have never come across. I can't wait for the weekend to be able to look at it properly. Just glancing at it I have already solved the problem of there being no RCE icon for my other death record. I just need to let Scotlandspeople know and they will sort it . Plenty to keep me going for another few weeks! Bye for now Nellie