Author Topic: Highland Militia  (Read 1591 times)

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Highland Militia
« on: Monday 05 September 11 00:14 BST (UK) »
Were the 18th and 19thC militia in the Highlands more like the regular army or territorial army, i.e. would a militiaman have another profession simultaneously such as a miller or inn-keeper but be called up like modern territorials or would he purely be a professional soldier?

Jenny

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Highland Militia
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 September 11 07:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny

If you put your post on the armed services board you will get a lot of detail there. Or perhaps one of the Moderators will move it for you.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 September 11 10:15 BST (UK) »
BruceL,

Thanks for the suggestion.  How do I ask one of the moderators to move it given that I am likely to lose it being technically inept?

Jenny

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 September 11 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny

I will move it over for you now, Jenny  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 September 11 12:27 BST (UK) »
The Militia were closer to Regular soldiers than other kinds of part-timers. They were conscripted by ballot for a period of 5-6 years. Men selected could pay for a subsitute to serve in their place. In peacetime they would train abt 2-3 weeks per year. Other kinds of part-timers tended to train in the evening or at weekends.

Once embodied during wartime the 'regular' Militia would almost always serve away from their home county. After the union with Ireland some Militias from Great Britain were sent to Ireland. In exchange for a bounty some Militiamen served in Europe by being transferred to a Regular regiment.

There was also a Local Militia raised during the 1803-15 war with France. They stayed in their home county. Both kinds of Militia were raised by the Lord Lt of the county. If they were embodied they came under the orders of the War Department

Can you post a name, date and county?

Ken

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 September 11 13:03 BST (UK) »
Ken,

Thanks for the info.  I have a William Grant, b.1784 at Knockando, Morayshire, married Sarah Miller 1811 at Dulnain Bridge (Bridge of Curr), Inverallen, Morayshire who seems to disappear between the birth of his son James in 1812 and the next birth in 1819 at Grantown, Morayshire.  They popped children out every year or so thereafter until 1830 so I did wonder whether he was in the army or militia during that 7 year gap.

Jenny

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 September 11 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny

You should contact the record office covering Moray and ask about local archives for Volunteers and Militia. A local historian may have written something that will at least tell you the names of any units. They may alss be able to tell you about the survival of any Militia census.

There is a muster roll in Kew for the Knockando Volunteers for 1803 to 1806. He may have joined these prior to the Militia. You can also search the NA Catalogue for Moray in WO13 - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?SearchInit=0&txtsearchterm=moray&txtfirstdate=&txtlastdate=&txtrestriction=WO13&hdnsorttype=Reference&image1.x=0&image1.y=0 - although I expect the name would be common in this area.

Ken

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 September 11 13:53 BST (UK) »
Ken,

Thanks for the reference at the NAS.  I do go there from time to time and find it difficult to find anything so your reference will guide me in the right direction.  As to the name Grant, common doesn't even come close in The Spey Valley!

Jenny