Author Topic: A bit of help  (Read 3620 times)

Offline louise corpios

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A bit of help
« on: Monday 05 September 11 00:32 BST (UK) »
Please can you help me by telling me anything about William Tuck the father of Jabez Tuck[cambridgeshire] Many thanks
Eldridge,Tuck,Juett,Potts,Lewis

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A bit of help
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 September 11 07:49 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat!

Perhaps you can help us by giving us some dates?
1700's?
1800's?
1900's?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 September 11 10:00 BST (UK) »
As the previous poster says, you need to give us more information if you want us to help you. And I know from your posts on the same subject on other boards that you have a lot more information. So why not tell us, rather than adopting the minimalist approach? And posting the same request on more than one board, as you did yesterday, tends to brass off people who are trying to help you.

Jabez was born c1815 in Cambridge according to censuses. His 1866 marriage to Anne Eldridge names his father as William deceased. Was she actually Mary Ann and was the mother of all his children?

The Baptism Index at http://www.cfhs.org.uk/Search.html throws up nothing. However a tree on Ancestry gives a birth date of 14 Aug 1814, but it doesn't say where or give a source. The same tree shows parents as being William Tuck and Sarah Hutt, but again no detail is given. They actually married at Cambridge All Saints on 12 Oct 1813, William being of the parish of Cambridge St Mary the Less.

One of the other boards to which you contributed says that Jabez was a Strict Baptist, at least for some of his life. Possibly that's why he wasn't baptised if his parents were also non-conformist.

I would contact the owner of the ancestry tree to see where the birth date came from

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline louise corpios

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 September 11 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hello sorry if i have brassed people off i never set out to.I thought i would start a fresh on roots taking my tree back from william as with the help of bg i have gone nicely forward but it was a bit tricky I was very minimal with my post i didnt want to start on roots the the long confusing tale of alfred .Im very happy with todays news and off to have a look now at the link Many Thanks lou x
Eldridge,Tuck,Juett,Potts,Lewis

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 September 11 11:55 BST (UK) »
All it needed was something like

" According to censuses where he was living in London, Jabez Tuck was born c1815 in Cambridge. His 1866 marriage to Anne Eldridge in St Pancras names his father as William Tuck dec'd. Can anyone find his baptism, or have any suggestions regarding his father?"

No need to bring Alfred's confusing tale into it, which is irrelevant to Jabez's parentage

The owner of the Ancestry tree may have access to non-conformist records which aren't on the IGI, or even something like a Hutt family bible.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock