Author Topic: Army pension eligibility 19th century  (Read 1632 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Army pension eligibility 19th century
« on: Tuesday 06 September 11 12:50 BST (UK) »
Would anyone be able to tell me what length of service would be needed for a soldier to be eligible to gain an old age "Army Pension" in the late 1800's?

Would like to be able to prove that Matthew Cronan born Ireland - who lived in Glasgow at least from about 1866 - 1901 - is the same Matthew who is with wife Martha in Irish census 1911.

Please see posting on http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,553596.0.html.  Helpful rootschatters have found this 1911 Irish census... but to prove it is the same Matthew - I need to find out when he would have served in ?Army for Army pension eligibility.  My Matthew was born Ireland about 1838 - but was otherwise employed and married in Glasgow from 1866 onwards - therefore would have only served for about ten years maximum??  Would that have been enough to end up as "Army pensioner"? 

Have tried to look for some Army records - but not finding anything.... don't have FindMyPast credits - and nothing immediately coming up.

Any help welcome!
Maggs
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Army pension eligibility 19th century
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggs

You could receive a pension 'time served' after 20 years in 1850s - 60s. However you could be discharged to pension before this due to a condition resulting from his military service.

Ken

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Re: Army pension eligibility 19th century
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 05:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,
thanks for the reply.  This info still leaves the possibility open to this being "My" Matthew Cronan, but again -
all the more reason for me to somehow chase up Matthew Cronan's ???military records....  There is another guy who I have been working on also for more than two years - need his military records from about the same time...  At least with the second one I have a regiment.. but not with Matthew...  I definitely need to win Cross Lotto, to fund a "Family Tree" expedition to the UK - and visit "Kew"...

Thanks again for your helpful info
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.