Author Topic: Toyne and Robert Almons 1851 Spilsby Union Workhouse  (Read 8709 times)

Offline alirobbie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Toyne and Robert Almons 1851 Spilsby Union Workhouse
« on: Tuesday 06 September 11 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any information on what happened to these two brothers, Toyne and Robert Almons (or Almonds), who were both in Spilsby Workhouse on the 1851 census.  Toyne was baptised 12 Apr 1836 at Wainfleet All Saints, and Robert was born about 1838, at Skegness I think (or around that area).  Their mother was Susanna Almonds, who in 1851 and up to her death in 1860 was with a Francis Howsam.  In 1851 Susanna and Francis are in Skegness, with some of her other (illegitimate) children.  The last trace I can find of Toyne and Robert is the 1851 census.  I can't find any marriage or death records for either of them.   Any further information would be brilliant.  Many thanks  :)

Offline Jodes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Toyne and Robert Almons 1851 Spilsby Union Workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
If my father's research is correct Robert signed up for the army and ended up in India. He left India in the early 1900's and emigrated to Tasmania.
We have not been able to find any mention of Toyne.
Do you have any information on these boys or their relatives?
J
Almond/Almons/Almonds in Lincolnshire
Almond in India
Greig, Walls, Fogo, Watt in Scotland
Coker in Berkshire
Dickins in Buckinghamshire

Offline alirobbie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 January 12 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jodes :) Good to hear from you.

It seems as though your father's information is agreeing with subsequent information that I have found since posting this original message. I have come to the conclusion that Robert joined the army, went to India and subsequently settled in Tasmania. Sadly, I also have been unable to find anything else out about Toyne, I wonder if he too joined the army and died.

I have quite a lot of information about Robert and Toyne's mother, Susanna, including where she's buried. I am descended from one of her brothers, but she has always interested me. Are you directly descended from Susanna, or one of the other Almons? It would be great to share information. Look forwards to hearing from you!

Best wishes :)

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 January 12 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi alirobbie,

By coincidence I just found a Fanny Toyne in my Harrison family and was wondering if there is any connection to your family, seeing that Toyne is an unusual first name.

Fanny was born in Spilsby about 1836. I think she is the Fanny Toyne, 5 yrs old, living at Bullsyard, Spilsby with Robert and Eliza Handy on the 1841 census.

Just thought I would ask in case any of these names crop up in your family as well?

regards Janine
David Wallace HAY, Helena DAVIDSON , Alexander HUTTON , Elizabeth JOHNSTON, Arthur JOHNSON, Agnes McPAKE, Mary McPEAKE, Mary JOHNSTON, Margaret JOHNSTON, Mildred Rose HARRISON, Francis HARRISON, Mary SOUTH, William WILLIAMS, Charles DUFF, Grace LESLIE

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 January 12 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Fanny was born in Spilsby about 1836. I think she is the Fanny Toyne, 5 yrs old, living at Bullsyard, Spilsby with Robert and Eliza Handy on the 1841 census.

Presumably this one http://tinyurl.com/7dyv5lm
and a brother - also "deserted" in 1841 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NG5T-FYT - in fact with TUTTY grandparents. :)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 January 12 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff, ;D ;D ;D

Hey this is great. Thanks a lot.  I had only just found Fanny when I accidentally clicked on this page and saw alirobbies post. That is indeed Fanny's christening and also her brother.

That now explains the 1861 census where Francis Harrison was listed as visiting with the Tutty family in Welton, with his wife Fanny and brother, John.

Now to find out if there is a connection with the Almond family. By the way alirobbie do you have the newspaper articles about Robert Almond in Tasmania? I presume it is your Robert who is mentioned attending the annual dinner for naval and military  veterans of Hobart and its vicinity in 1913.

regards Janine
David Wallace HAY, Helena DAVIDSON , Alexander HUTTON , Elizabeth JOHNSTON, Arthur JOHNSON, Agnes McPAKE, Mary McPEAKE, Mary JOHNSTON, Margaret JOHNSTON, Mildred Rose HARRISON, Francis HARRISON, Mary SOUTH, William WILLIAMS, Charles DUFF, Grace LESLIE

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 January 12 09:49 GMT (UK) »
That now explains the 1861 census where Francis Harrison  ... with his wife Fanny

Do you have the marriage?

14 May 1858 at Louth
Francis HARRISON (son of James) to Fanny TOIN (dau of Thurston) :)

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 January 12 09:58 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D

I wish it always fell into place this easily. I have been tracing them going backwards from when they lived in London. I knew the marriage was in 1858 but its great to get the proof. Thanks heaps.

How quirky to accidentally click on a page and see a name you have just found yourself.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 January 12 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Thurston TOYN died just before registration started, buried at Spilsby 7 May 1837 aged 23.