Author Topic: Toyne and Robert Almons 1851 Spilsby Union Workhouse  (Read 8710 times)

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Toyne and Robert Almons 1851 Spilsby Union Workhouse
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 January 12 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Ah this explains why the family was split up. Poor things.

Janine
David Wallace HAY, Helena DAVIDSON , Alexander HUTTON , Elizabeth JOHNSTON, Arthur JOHNSON, Agnes McPAKE, Mary McPEAKE, Mary JOHNSTON, Margaret JOHNSTON, Mildred Rose HARRISON, Francis HARRISON, Mary SOUTH, William WILLIAMS, Charles DUFF, Grace LESLIE

Offline Jodes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 January 12 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi alirobbie,

I'm a direct descendent of Susanna, Robert was my great grandfather. I don't know how much you know about him, particularly his time in India but here's a brief summary.

He married twice while in India, the first marriage was to Elizabeth Edwards born at Anfield Barracks. They had four children, two boys and two girls. Elizabeth died at the age of 26. Two years after her death he married Sophia Dickens who was Indo-British and they had five sons. They emigrated to Tasmania in 1909 and Robert died in 1918 in Hobart. Sophia was much younger than Robert and she passed away in 1951.

We have Susanna's siblings as William, Elizabeth, Thomas and John Walls - is this the same as you have?Which one are you descended from?

I have a feeling that Toyne may have died while in the workhouse as Robert never listed him as a next of kin, however, after his initial enlistment in the army he was discharched and went back to Burgh le Marsh but reinlisted not long after.

Looking forward to hearing more about your side of the family :)
Almond/Almons/Almonds in Lincolnshire
Almond in India
Greig, Walls, Fogo, Watt in Scotland
Coker in Berkshire
Dickins in Buckinghamshire

Offline alirobbie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 January 12 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jodes,
Thanks very much for the information about Robert, I had gleaned a little about his life in Tasmania but only bare facts. I’m grateful for any information you can supply. I am descended from Susanna’s brother William who is my 3x Great Grandfather and marries a lady called Mildred. I don’t know how much information you have on Susanna’s parents; we’ve traced the Almonds back to a Richard Almonds born about 1670 who dies in Addlethorpe, Lincolnshire in 1729. We’ve been unable to find a definite baptism record for him. We have Susanna’s parents as Richard Almonds (1779-1847) and Mary Walls (1787-1831) and her siblings as Jane, William, Elizabeth, Thomas and John Walls. Her father Richard marries again following Mary’s death; Elizabeth Ladley (1796-1842) and appears to have another William and a Matthew.
Susanna seems to have been quite a character, having at least 7 children illegitimately (Toyne, Robert, Mary, Walls, Charlotte, Elizabeth and John), before living with a man (Francis Howsam) as his wife, but never marrying, and having another 4 children (Richard, Susannah, Francis, John). She lived as his wife until the time of her death at Buslingthorpe, Lincolnshire (1860 buried May 19th), when it somehow comes out that they are not married, as the vicar writes a very terse sentence in the parish registers about Susanna passing herself off as the wife of Francis Howsam, and two of her children being baptised under this supposition. Her last child, John, is buried 23 May 1860 at Buslingthorpe as the illegitimate child of Susanna Almonds but is obviously born to her and Francis. Following Susanna’s death, Charlotte and Elizabeth both adopt the surname Howsam, and marry using this surname.
I also wondered whether Toyne had died in the workhouse, however I’ve checked the burial records for the church the workhouse used and also for Skegness, but cannot find a record of his burial, although it is interesting to learn Robert didn’t put Toyne as next of kin, suggesting he had died by the time of Robert’s enlistment.
I look forward to exchanging further information.
Best wishes, Alirobbie

Hi Tigerquoll,
Thank you for your replies. We had speculated that Toyne is a surname and that Susanna, his mother, had taken to naming the children after the surname of their father, as she also has a Walls, although this is her mother’s maiden name. With your Toyne family being in the Spilsby area it is certainly a possibility that the families are connected, and it’s an area I will probably look into in future.
I haven’t seen any newspaper articles about Robert, as I have very minimal information on his life, but would be very interested to see them if you could forward me to the source.
Many thanks for your interest,
Alirobbie

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 January 12 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know if it is just co-incidence but Fanny Toyne"s brother Thurston Toyne also went to India about 1857 with the 38th Regiment of Foot and helped quell the "Indian Mutiny" , (UK Military Campaign Medal and Awards Roll). He returned to England sometime in the 1870's.

regards Janine
David Wallace HAY, Helena DAVIDSON , Alexander HUTTON , Elizabeth JOHNSTON, Arthur JOHNSON, Agnes McPAKE, Mary McPEAKE, Mary JOHNSTON, Margaret JOHNSTON, Mildred Rose HARRISON, Francis HARRISON, Mary SOUTH, William WILLIAMS, Charles DUFF, Grace LESLIE

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 January 12 12:14 GMT (UK) »
JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 January 12 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Forgot these obituary notices.

Albert son of Robert and Sophia.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/50983565?

Robert Almond

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/11412410?

Ashley Arnold son of Robert and Sophia.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/29180694?

Sophia Almond.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/27031609?

Sophia died at St Johns Park New Town.

Johngirl
JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline alirobbie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 January 12 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Janine, it certainly seems as though there could be a connection between the Toyne and Almond families the deeper you explore.  Susanna, Toyne's mother, spent most of her time living around the Skegness and Croft area of the district, her sons Robert and Toyne and daughter Mary were all in the workhouse at Hundleby at some time between 1851 and 1871, I don't know if Susanna herself was ever in the workhouse - she was living with Francis Howsam in 1851 and died in 1860. The army link is very interesting and I will definitely explore the potential links between the two families.
Thanks again for your help.  Best wishes Jane

Hello johngirl
Thank you so very much for those links, that is wonderful and much more than I could ever have hoped for when starting this thread.  Many thanks to you.
Best wishes, Jane