Author Topic: Messenger family in Gravesend  (Read 20789 times)

Offline Nickb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Messenger family in Gravesend
« on: Wednesday 07 September 11 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hello to all,

May I be so bold as to ask for help in locating a MESSENGER family in the area of Gravesend or Kent on the 1911 census. I understand that this information is not to be placed on here but a simple yes or no would surfice.

I have the service records for a relative of mine, namely a William Armitage DIBNAH (Army Cyclist Corps) who was killed 29 Sept 1917. In these papers there is a note from a Edie Messenger asking for his next of kin's address. Another note is from the then Mayoress of Gravesend Lizzie Huggins also asking the War office for his address. it appears that a "young man from Gravesend" had a message for his family as he was with him when he died.

I think I have found Edith b 1885 Gravesend, she later in 1918 married a James Sheppard. A possible address is 148 Wind?????? Gravesend. There are only 3 streets in Gravesend on Google beginning with "Wind" as far as I can tell.
Having looked for service records etc for Messenger I found that an Ernest Messenger had served in the Army Cyclist Corps. I do not have an Ancestry subscription but 3 Pension records and 3 service records for an Ernest do exist. A medal card exists for an Ernest who was a corporal (service No 5375) and a subsequent search of births shows him possiblity born being in 1887 Tunbridge.

So my query is:

Is there a Messenger family living in Gravesend?
If so is it 148 "Wind???? st"?
Is there a Ernest with a sister Edith?

If someone has access to Ancestry could they look at the Ernest's service record, did he live in Gravesend?

I did contact Kent Council to see if any records of the Mayoress Lizzie Huggins had any papers with their archives but only was told that I would need to make an appointment and conduct a personal search but distance is a problem right now.

Please forgive me for such a long winded request but ever since finding this it has prayed on my mind and I would like to think I tried to find what was the message, even if I have no hope in doing so I will have tried.

Kindest regards

Nick   
Dibnah -  ALL
Brown - Bridlington/Hull
Macklin - Holderness
Bilton - Holmpton/Holderness
Wilkinson - Holderness
Terrington - Holderness
Owbridge - Holderness
Suddaby - Holderness
Swatman - Hull/Norfolk
Lowery - Hull/Lincolnshire
Kinnersley - Hull/Lincolnshire
McFarlane - Hull/Greenock
Park - Hull

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Messenger family in Gravesend
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 17:52 BST (UK) »
Nick,

The Ernest Messenger who served in the Cyclist Corps,was born in Knightsbridge in 1880- his wife is Fanny Elizabeth nee Salsbury/Salisbury? Or possibly even Solesbury? He married her in 1903 and her address on his service record is Brentford in Middx.

So not Gravesend then.

Do you think that 1911 address might be Windmill Street,it's the only one that comes up using the free indexes.?

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brian2009

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes to Messenger families - Two
Yes Messenger living at 148 Windmil Street
No, there is a Edith, but there is no Ernest

I was research the Mayor's of Margate a while ago, and rang the local council office, and the Mayor's secretary was able to give me the names of past incumbents.  mIght be more use than KCC!!
Brian

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 18:05 BST (UK) »
Reading through Ernest Messengers army service record tells us that he was invalided out of the Army in 1916 due to being 'feeble and weak' possibly due to bad teeth.

Carol

Offline Brian2009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 18:50 BST (UK) »
Nick
The marriage in qtr 3, 1903 was to a Fanny Elizabeth Salisbury  in Brentford  3a 159
Brian

Offline Nickb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 19:22 BST (UK) »
Carol & Brian many thanks for looking.
It does look as though the Ernest is not the soldier I am after but I still feel that there is a link between Edith and the messenger.

It could be James who is Edith's future husband but I could search forever into the millions that served.

I will try and contact the Mayors office direct and see if they can help me.

many thanks again, time to rethink my plan of attack.

regards

Nick
Dibnah -  ALL
Brown - Bridlington/Hull
Macklin - Holderness
Wilkinson - Holderness
Terrington - Holderness
Owbridge - Holderness
Suddaby - Holderness
Swatman - Hull/Norfolk
Park - Hull

Offline Brian2009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 20:19 BST (UK) »
Nick
Reading your original post again you refer to Edie Messenger, and then Ernest.  Is Edie not short for Edward?  I will see if I can find an EDWARD in Gravesend in the census records.

Brian

Offline Nickb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian

The original note is signed by Edie Messenger (miss).

I asked about a possible brother of Edie as an Ernest simply because he was the only Messenger that served with the Army Cyclist Corps on the Ancestry website that I could see.
I have had another look at the service records for William and very faintly, we must remember that his along with thousands more were burnt, I can see William was posted to the 54th Light Railway Company. But as I have said the possibility that I find him is very slim, this "fellow" could be from the Medical units that looked after him or any number of other regiments in the area at the time of his death.
I will check out the office of Mayor as the searching soldier wrote to Lizzie Huggins asking for her help, so there may be a letter in any papers she left. Lizzie crossed out the headed paper address of The Mayors Parlour, Town Hall and replaced it with 17 Clarence Place.

regards

Nick
Dibnah -  ALL
Brown - Bridlington/Hull
Macklin - Holderness
Wilkinson - Holderness
Terrington - Holderness
Owbridge - Holderness
Suddaby - Holderness
Swatman - Hull/Norfolk
Park - Hull

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 22:46 BST (UK) »
Nick
Reading your original post again you refer to Edie Messenger, and then Ernest.  Is Edie not short for Edward?  I will see if I can find an EDWARD in Gravesend in the census records.

Brian

Edie is usually short for Edith,or sometimes a name in it's own right.

My gran had sister inlaws with both names!

Eddie can be short for Edward of course  ;D

Carol