Author Topic: EDITED: A bit of a puzzler - William J PHILLIPS  (Read 2199 times)

Offline bramble9

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
EDITED: A bit of a puzzler - William J PHILLIPS
« on: Thursday 08 September 11 12:22 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out if the William John Phillips who I have found an obit for is the same William John Phillips as my great uncle. They both lived in St Ives
My g uncle was born in 1886 and was the son of Joseph and Emma Phillips. I'm not sure who he married or if he had children.
The William J Phillips who I have the obit for died in 1978 aged 91 (making him born c 1886/7). He married a woman called Matilda, served in WW1 and had three children: Nora, Muriel and Robert.

Basically I need help working out if they are the same person or two different people...arrgh! I've tried searching for him on 1911 census but no joy :(

Any help VERY appreciated as ever.

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: EDITED: A bit of a puzzler - William J Phillips
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 September 11 13:34 BST (UK) »
The William John in 1978 was born 3 Nov 1886 the only William John Phillips birth was Dec qu 1886 Penzance which fits with a birth in St Ives.There was another William J but he was William James Redruth  Mar qu 1886
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bramble9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 September 11 13:51 BST (UK) »
I've just really confused myself - for some reason I had it in my head that my William J Phillips was born in 1886 when in fact that was his brother, James. DOH! William J was actually born in 1881. But I am unable to find the below William J (who I think must be the man I have the obit for) in 1891, and I would be keen to find his parents.

I'm so annoyed - I was convinced that this was 'the one', and I haven't been able to find when any of his siblings died, so I thought I was finally getting somewhere! Grr!

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 September 11 15:12 BST (UK) »

Emma Phillips 44 widow b St Ives
Wm J 20 son gen lab b ditto
Mary E 16 dau b ditto
James 15 son b ditto
Emma J 12 dau b ditto
Frances A 10 dau b ditto
Back Road,St Ives
RG13 2249/118/8
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 September 11 15:16 BST (UK) »

Joseph Phillips 37 gen lab b St Ives
Emma 36 wife b Sanscrit
Joseph H 11 son b New Zealand
William J 9 son b St Ives
Mary L 6 dau b ditto
James 4 son b ditto
Emma J 2 dau b ditto
same address as 1901
RG12 1854/126/22

Offline bramble9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 September 11 15:56 BST (UK) »
Those are both him, but I think that makes him too old to be the one who's obituary I have (who died in 1978 aged 91)  ???