Author Topic: KLUSSMAN birth in Newbridge?!!  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Miranda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
KLUSSMAN birth in Newbridge?!!
« on: Friday 09 September 11 11:57 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me? I am trying to search for a KLUSSMAN, GEORGINA, supposedly born in Newbridge, Ireland about 1840.  Parents Ernest and Georgina (or Georgena).  I am trying to discover her mothers maiden name but I'm not sure that will be possible.  Georgina (~1840) also had siblings - Henry, Ernest both born St Catherines, Dublin and Frederick in Longford, Ireland. 

Any ideas? I have tried to search online but the surname doesn't come up at all for Irish records.
thnks.
Knight-Barnard & Barnard (Gloucestershire, Stroud, Rodborough Common)
Mitten or Mitton (Guildford, Shropshire) 
Rose, Jacobs,  Guttentag, (mainly London)
Giles (Cricklade, Cinderford, Merthyr Tydfil, Troedhyriw),
Mills, (Wales & Gloucestershire)
Hughes - (Wales)
Klussman/Klusmann

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: KLUSSMAN birth in Newbridge?!!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 September 11 12:06 BST (UK) »
Full civil registration started in 1864 - so there are no birth certs before that date. For earlier details you will need to research parish records, and to do this you first need to establish the denomination of the family and where they lived at the time (i.e. town, townland or parish) so you can check what records may be available.

see : Introduction to Irish Records

p.s. are you certain that it's the Newbridge in Co. Kildare ?
There are several townlands in Ireland named Newbridge.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 September 11 12:52 BST (UK) »
There's a baptism on IrishGenealogy for Ernest jnr in 1845 under the name Klushman, in St. Peter's Church of Ireland Parish, South Dublin City :

Baptism of Ernest Klushman - 2 Feb 1845
  Date of Birth : 10 Jan 1845

The residence is listed as Portobello barracks, and Ernest snr's occupation is given as Barrack Master 8th Hussar. There's also a baptism of an elder sister named Adelaide on the same day  :

Baptism of Adelaide Klushman - 2 Feb 1845
  Date of Birth :   16 Nov 1841

Unfortunately Church of Ireland baptisms dont usually record mother's maiden name.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Miranda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 September 11 07:19 BST (UK) »
Shane, thank you for this.  I am not really sure they are related yet.  And I can only say that Newbridge was written on one of the census forms for Georgina's birth area, just Newbridge Ireland.  I will keep searching as I have just realised that she has put a different birth area on each census.  1871 Newbridge, Ireland, 1881 ((B)) Ireland (not sure what this one means), 1891 Manchester and 1901 London!! definitely the same person but now it is a bigger puzzle.
Knight-Barnard & Barnard (Gloucestershire, Stroud, Rodborough Common)
Mitten or Mitton (Guildford, Shropshire) 
Rose, Jacobs,  Guttentag, (mainly London)
Giles (Cricklade, Cinderford, Merthyr Tydfil, Troedhyriw),
Mills, (Wales & Gloucestershire)
Hughes - (Wales)
Klussman/Klusmann